Moparts

Brake push rod question 69 b body

Posted By: cjs69mope

Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/07/21 10:18 PM

Does anybody know how to pull the brake push rod back out of the master cylinder when you just installed a new rubber retainer and find out that u need an adjustable push rod because the pedal sits way to high up.
Feel like I am going to break some thing and don't want to damage new master cylinder
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/07/21 11:28 PM

I just use vice grips and grab the rod close to the master and use a pry bar to pry it out.
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/07/21 11:52 PM

hi

might also spray somr silicoe ube i it ad wiggel it before pullig !
Posted By: BDW

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/08/21 12:32 AM

Leave it loosely bolted up, put small piece of wood between MC and firewall and yank brake pedal up HARD.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/08/21 02:44 AM

Hmmm, how can the pedal be any higher than its stock location - isn't there a "stop" there? Seems to me without a "stop" there'd be the risk of accidentally pulling the pedal up and having the rod come out of the m/c !!
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/08/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
Hmmm, how can the pedal be any higher than its stock location - isn't there a "stop" there? Seems to me without a "stop" there'd be the risk of accidentally pulling the pedal up and having the rod come out of the m/c !!

That’s exactly why they put that small rubber bushing in there. It will not come out if undamaged and properly installed. It takes alot of force to get it out.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/08/21 02:27 PM

My 65 the only thing thats stopsyou from pulling the pedal up is the stop switch It will bend if you yank the pedal up.Oh yeah when it goes into the master with the little piece they are a bear to remove.Also be advised that you can pull the guts out of the master sometimes.Did it once on an old single one.Rocky
Posted By: moparx

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/08/21 02:57 PM

i use a floor jack.
remove the saddle. place master cylinder rod through the hole where the saddle was, rest the body of the master on the top of the lifting arm.
place a rod that fits the hole in the push rod and is long enough to span the distance of the bottom of the jack frame.
if you are worried about pulling the guts out of the master, fab a plate with a "C" notch the size of the rod, and place it between the master and the lifting arm at the saddle hole. 1/4" plate works good for this [what i have] but 1/8" would also work as well.
jack the jack, and the rod will pop out.
pretty easy, and i have done this for years.
hope this helps.
beer
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/08/21 06:04 PM

[quote=NITROUSN]I just use vice grips and grab the rod close to the master and use a pry bar to pry it out. [/quote
Tried this and damaged paint on the fire wall must have not done right. Got it out after taking the push rod bolt out from the pedal and put it back in the rod above the pedal with come big washer to make a groove for the pedal to catch on so to speak and sprayed with wd40 and pulled up on the brake pedal and it popped out easy
Wish I would have thought of that first live and learn now touch up time on my new ly painted fire wall
Uggh!
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/08/21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by cjs69mope
[quote=NITROUSN]I just use vice grips and grab the rod close to the master and use a pry bar to pry it out. [/quote
Tried this and damaged paint on the fire wall must have not done right. Got it out after taking the push rod bolt out from the pedal and put it back in the rod above the pedal with come big washer to make a groove for the pedal to catch on so to speak and sprayed with wd40 and pulled up on the brake pedal and it popped out easy
Wish I would have thought of that first live and learn now touch up time on my new ly painted fire wall
Uggh!

I never said in the car. I thought you had it out. No way in hell would I do it that way in the car.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/09/21 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by calrobb2000
hi

might also spray somr silicoe ube i it ad wiggel it before pullig !

Attached picture Beer.jpg
Attached picture Drunk 2.jpg
Posted By: RobR

Re: Brake push rod question 69 b body - 03/10/21 09:22 PM

I have always put some (very little) heat on it,then put the rod in a vice and pry up on the piston with two screw drivers,just pops out...
© 2024 Moparts Forums