Moparts

Magnum top end reassembliy ????

Posted By: 540challenger

Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/02/09 09:38 PM

Hey guys i am putting back together the top end on my magnum/LA small block and have some questions.

What is the correct torque for the magnum headbolts

" iam using 30W oil on the threads and under the head of the bolt." and are they torque in the same pattern as an LA engine?

Also when i am setting the valve lash i set the intake valve while the exhaust is closing?

Then the exhaust valve while when the intake is opening??

last question i swear.

What is the torque on the intake bolts.

Thanks guys
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/02/09 11:52 PM

Head bolts = 105lbs. If you have had the block decked, you might want to verify the bolts don't bottom in the holes. Mine did and I had to use head bolt washers to keep the bolts from bottoming in the holes. Mopar Performance sells a valve lash adjustment chart decal that you can stick under the hood. Makes it nice and simple and you don't miss any. Intake manifold bolts = 45lbs.

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/02/09 11:54 PM

Quote:

Head bolts = 105lbs. If you have had the block decked, you might want to verify the bolts don't bottom in the holes. Mine did and I had to use head bolt washers to keep the bolts from bottoming in the holes. Mopar Performance sells a valve lash adjustment chart decal that you can stick under the hood. Makes it nice and simple and you don't miss any. Intake manifold bolts = 45lbs.

Thanks for the specs. I was aware of them bottoming out and check All is good so far.
Posted By: sharpie

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 12:05 AM

how far do you have to go to bottom out the bolts? I had my block (Magnum) squared, but I guess the machinist took very little off (or that's what he said).
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 12:26 AM

if you are using a magnum intake on magnum heads then the intake bolt torque is 12 nm. almost nothing
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 12:55 AM

Like tightening a spark plug ?
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 01:24 AM

Quote:

how far do you have to go to bottom out the bolts? I had my block (Magnum) squared, but I guess the machinist took very little off (or that's what he said).

use harden washers under head bolts.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 02:26 AM

Magnum intake torquing pattern. front to rear pass side is 10-6-2-4-7-11. Drivers side front to rear 9-5-1-3-8-12. torque bolts 1-4 in the sequence in 12 inch lb increments to 72 inch lbs. Then the remaining bolts to 72 inch lbs(in sequence). Check that ALL are at 72 inch lbs. If not tighten them up to 72 in sequence. Then tighten ALL bolts to 144 inch lbs in sequence & recheck.
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 04:09 AM

Robert,
Does 144 inch/pounds equals to 12 foot pounds &?

We won't get confused by the conversion........

Dan

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 04:12 AM

yes

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 12:02 PM

Quote:

Magnum intake torquing pattern. front to rear pass side is 10-6-2-4-7-11. Drivers side front to rear 9-5-1-3-8-12. torque bolts 1-4 in the sequence in 12 inch lb increments to 72 inch lbs. Then the remaining bolts to 72 inch lbs(in sequence). Check that ALL are at 72 inch lbs. If not tighten them up to 72 in sequence. Then tighten ALL bolts to 144 inch lbs in sequence & recheck.

thankk for the info. This this method apply tojust the stock intake or an afermarket i have a air Gap manifold??
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 12:33 PM

Quote:

I think I had to have .015" taken off my block to get the deck height I wanted. All the bolt holes in my LA block were not taped ( 1/2-13 ) the same depth, nor were they the same depth period. The top row of bolt holes was deep enough - barely. The bottom row had some deep enough and some not quite deep enough. I put hardened head bolt washers on all of them. Thanks for the correction on the manifold bolt torque - although 12nm seems ( "almost nothing") as does 144 inch lbs. Had my Magnum heads drilled to accept both styles and I am presently using an LA style manifold with them. Ether way, I'm using grade 8 5/16-18 bolts - 30ft lb capacity. Assume the angle on the Magnum bolt pattern requires considerable less torque?

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 03:08 PM

Quote:

This this method apply tojust the stock intake or an afermarket i have a air Gap manifold??

It would apply to both as torque specs are about the particular bolt being used to get it to the right amount of stretch & the 12 ft lbs would be for the stock type bolts & not sure if the angle(vertical) affects this also.

Re: Magnum top end reassembliy ???? - 04/03/09 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This this method apply tojust the stock intake or an afermarket i have a air Gap manifold??

It would apply to both as torque specs are about the particular bolt being used to get it to the right amount of stretch & the 12 ft lbs would be for the stock type bolts & not sure if the angle(vertical) affects this also.

thanks again
© 2024 Moparts Forums