Moparts

5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion.

Posted By: Shaggy

5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/09/21 06:30 PM

Can't seem to find an answer in the search.

What harmonic balancer is used to replace the later 5.9 magnum one piece serpentine versions when converting to the older style LA front accessory cover/drives?
Want to use the parts from a 1990 5.9 tbi motor to simplify the future swap into a b250 van.

Thanks

Been years since I have posted a question here. beer

Re: 5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/09/21 07:30 PM

Being told on another site to use the 94-97 5.9 damper and slot the offset bolt hole on the la pulley to fit.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/09/21 08:21 PM

You don't need to change the balancer. As has been said you can slot the offset hole in your LA pulley if it has one. The magnum balancer ring is thinner but the inner hub is in the same plane. What you may need to do is fab some brackets for the alternator mounting though as the head bolt bosses at the ends of the heads are not the same. You could however use the entire front accessory drive, The alternator and power steering pump will still work with a earlier wiring harness. Did you plan on using the TBI setup?

Re: 5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/10/21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
You don't need to change the balancer. As has been said you can slot the offset hole in your LA pulley if it has one. The magnum balancer ring is thinner but the inner hub is in the same plane. What you may need to do is fab some brackets for the alternator mounting though as the head bolt bosses at the ends of the heads are not the same. You could however use the entire front accessory drive, The alternator and power steering pump will still work with a earlier wiring harness. Did you plan on using the TBI setup?

The 5.9 mag engine I have is a later version and has the one piece damper with the built in serpentine belt pulley.

Not going to be using the TBI setup, It will be a sniper efi or carb I already have depending on how budget constraints work out.

Re: 5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/10/21 01:33 AM

Then any year prior to that would work, '93 to ? I don't know when that changed. What year is your engine?
Lots of info at magnumswap.com

Re: 5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/10/21 08:56 AM

Here is an aftermarket damper. balancer
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: 5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/16/21 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaggy
Being told on another site to use the 94-97 5.9 damper and slot the offset bolt hole on the la pulley to fit.

This is the correct answer. The 1990 TBI engine you have a balancer from has a different offset weight than the magnum engines so it will not balance properly. If you don't want to do the bolt on weights here are some options on ebay (not mine).

The 20 dollar used option

The 70 dollar new replacement option
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 5.9 mag damper options, serpentine to belt conversion. - 02/17/21 12:09 AM

My wifes 01 van 5.9 has the 2 piece still on it. Use one for a magnum 5.9 from 93-01, the only problem I seen is the parts store now only will give me a one piece to retrofit them back to 93.

My question though is why not use the serp belt set up? They work awesome.
© 2024 Moparts Forums