Moparts

426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake

Posted By: Rhinodart

426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/01/21 11:42 PM

Has anyone done a modern fuel injection system for a second gen 426 hemi using a Mopar cross ram intake? I have looked online and see the Sniper system but it was on a blower application. Anyone know someone who has done it on a cross ram? shruggy
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 12:08 AM

There is no reason you couldn't. IIRC there was an article on some guys who put EFI on a either a Hemi or Big Block mopar and did the power tour a few years ago. They used two OEM throttle bodies off of something.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 12:12 AM

Scroll thru the "whats new" section of FAST Man EFI and you'll see that he has done most everything. https://www.fastmanefi.com/papers
Posted By: Handygun

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 01:01 AM

They used the C/R with the removable tops and had the wiring harness hidden inside the plenum, very sanitary installation.

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Handygun
They used the C/R with the removable tops and had the wiring harness hidden inside the plenum, very sanitary installation.

Interesting, that is the manifold I plan on using, I will check it out! wave
Posted By: chargerbr549

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 03:57 AM

I believe Chucks speed and RV in Arizona did an efi on a crossram and hid alot of it inside the manifold, I had stopped in there about 10 years ago and the owner was talking about his car that was in the shop being in one of the mopar magazines where they hid alot of the efi inside of the crossram.

https://chucksspeedcenter.com/

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 04:34 AM

Well I will be out in Scottsdale the third week of January, and in Vegas for the trip home. I will have to stop by Chuck's... wave

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 05:50 AM

Use dual throttle bodies and then you don't need to worry about the plumbing and wiring. FAST makes a good dual throttle body system or you could use dual Holley Terminators. Call Rich at FAST Man EFI and he'll tell you what the best way to put EFI on a cross ram is.

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/02/21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Use dual throttle bodies and then you don't need to worry about the plumbing and wiring. FAST makes a good dual throttle body system or you could use dual Holley Terminators. Call Rich at FAST Man EFI and he'll tell you what the best way to put EFI on a cross ram is.

I emailed him and he got right back to me, I will call him next week. Thanks again!
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 01:52 AM

I have done this several different ways. From running two TBI throttle bodies to port injection with everything hidden inside. I'm not a fan of the results running dual TBI throttle bodies. Harder to tune, and too high in some cases. The port injection systems worked well. My first approach was using fuel rails but later I used individual -3AN lines for each injector. This was easier to fabricate and worked very well because it consumed less space.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Handygun

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 02:02 AM

Thats the one I remember the article on. The cannon plug brought it back. Neat setup
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar_Rich
I have done this several different ways. From running two TBI throttle bodies to port injection with everything hidden inside. I'm not a fan of the results running dual TBI throttle bodies. Harder to tune, and too high in some cases. The port injection systems worked well. My first approach was using fuel rails but later I used individual -3AN lines for each injector. This was easier to fabricate and worked very well because it consumed less space.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THAT is wicked ass cool

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 02:11 AM

Here's another one where all the injectors were mounted under the manifold in the valley area. Lots of work to machine the nozzles, but it worked GREAT!
Yes, they look like carburetors but they're just throttle bodies. Nice retro result where unless you're looking the fuel lines going to the carbs you'd never know.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 05:04 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a sanitary installation but I'm curious how it might affect airflow and how much the reduction in plenum volume might matter.

Kevin

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 04:47 PM

I did dyno this engine and it did well, but I have no before and after numbers. Obviously, this was a street/show car so all that was needed was good driveability and it had that in spades.
Posted By: jcc

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 06:45 PM

How satisfied were you with the final injector orientation in that set-up?

It certainly looks cool, well executed, and meets all the objectives for stealth, but I'm wondering performance, flow disruption, etc wise, what it leaves on the table.

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/06/21 11:34 PM

I did dyno this engine and it did well, but I have no before and after numbers. Obviously, this was a street/show car so all that was needed was good driveability and it had that in spades.

That is the ultimate goal driveability! The customer dosen't care that much about utlimate speed and quarter mile ability, he just wants to turn the key and have fun, which in the current state of tune gets old very fast!

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/07/21 01:18 AM

A cross ram is the wrong intake to choose if the customer wants the engine to fire up easily and drive nicely. If the customer is willing to spend a bunch of money for an EFI conversion then it could be made to work. Not sure what the bill for a conversion like that is going to be, probably several thousand dollars.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/07/21 01:33 AM

Troy’s Hemi Dart cross ram fires right up. Even dead cold (So Cal)

Maybe has to do with a large plenum and crevices for fuel to puddle??

I know he put a LOT of effort into tuning it and cam selection upfront. Of course he built it, maintains it, and drives it. Having a knowledge and responsibility from cradle to grave goes a long way.

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/07/21 01:33 AM

A cross ram is the wrong intake to choose if the customer wants the engine to fire up easily and drive nicely. If the customer is willing to spend a bunch of money for an EFI conversion then it could be made to work. Not sure what the bill for a conversion like that is going to be, probably several thousand dollars.

Money is never an object with him, he had the car built as a Hemi Dart clone and likes the look, just wants better driveablility as he is tired of cars that aren't fun to drvie.

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/07/21 09:30 PM

I don't agree. Cross rams are an issue with carbs but with the port injection like I did in the pics, the manifold just flows air and the engines start and run just as good as if it had a 4 barrel. Driveabilty was excellent. Conversion cost is time and materials. The last one I did was right at $3K. The major part of the work was mounting the injectors without fuel rails to hold them down. I made custom clamps that did the job. The 90 degree AN line to injector fittings are also very pricey.

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/08/21 12:47 AM

I think we said the same thing. Cross ram with carbs not a good idea for a street car but if a person is willing to spend a few thousand for an EFI conversion then it works.

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/08/21 03:36 AM

I think we said the same thing. Cross ram with carbs not a good idea for a street car but if a person is willing to spend a few thousand for an EFI conversion then it works.

Sorry. I misread your original comment. Yes - we agree !
Posted By: moparx

Re: 426 hemi fuel injection for crossram intake - 01/08/21 07:38 PM

this topic perks my interest because, i believe, it would also pertain to a max wedge cross ram ?
as i have said manifold, carbs, linkage, and heads, i have entertained trying this manifold on my charger eventually, using throttle body injectors.
the engine i have is a semi serious piece with cam and compression [ported RPM's] and i also have a converter and gears [which can be changed]
the fuel system [not installed as of yet] will consist of an in-tank aeromotive 340lph pump with a 1/2" return, a new stainless tank, and as of now, a 3/8" suction.
is this an idea i should dump, not cutting the intake apart for individual injectors ?
thoughts and criticisms welcome please.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums