Moparts

Mopar fastener dimensions

Posted By: njmopar

Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/01/20 11:56 AM

Hello -

Working on a new project for my daughter, a 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee. Got a great deal on it, considering it is pretty much rust free. It does need paint, which I have blown the thing apart to do it correctly.

I would like to go through and replace many of the fasteners that are cruddy looking on trim, etc. Mopar part numbers are easy to find, but is there any known cross reference guide from a mopar part number to a standard screw size? Would save me having to measure each one and cross reference.
I guess I got spoiled from all the fastener kits for the old cars, you really dont have to think about that, just buy the kit.

Thanks.
Rob
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/01/20 10:19 PM

In the old (reallly old!) days Section 18 of the parts catalog had fastener specs ans dimensions. Don't know if that is true today.
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/01/20 11:37 PM

hi rob , the other thing to think about are most of the fasteners on that 2001 jeep are going to be metric. I don't know of any jeep bolt lits like our old mopars . hope someone knows a company for you . drive ronnie
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/01/20 11:54 PM

i would suggest downloading the auveco catalog.

https://www.auveco.com/

we order auveco fasteners thru the paint store on a weekly basis at the bodyshop i work at.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/02/20 04:03 PM

The cataloging is hit and miss on fasteners. Sometimes they show them as not serviced separately. Sometimes dimensions are listed, sometimes not. What I used to do when I was a parts guy at the dealer was to just go through all of our parts bins/drawers to find something. Was usually successful doing that. You will not find listings at all at parts stores for dimensions, locations, quantities etc for vehicle fasteners. The closest I ever came up with, when working at the stores, was head bolt and wheel stud listings in the Dorman catalog.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/03/20 11:21 AM

Thanks for the input. I guess I will just measure each one and look up on the Mcmaster site. They have just about everything, just a matter of matching up.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/03/20 05:09 PM

OE stuff can have special coatings[ for corrosion], flanged heads, pilot tips on the ends, smaller heads, captive washers etc. Generally no reason you can't use generic stuff if thats all you can source. Just watch your hardness ratings and fastener placements. If its around a cooling jacket, maybe go stainless. Same on exhaust.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/04/20 03:05 PM

make sure when using stainless you do two things.
1 : make sure to use a good grade from a good company such as ARP
2 : use lots of anti-seize to prevent thread galling.
beer
Posted By: 1972challenger

Re: Mopar fastener dimensions - 09/04/20 05:06 PM

Most of the body and chassis fasteners will be metric, common thread pitches too. Order bolts from Mcmaster.com as they have pretty good prices and most sizes will be sold in boxes of 25, 50, 100 etc. S.S. bolts should have a small dab of copper anti seize. Most of the bolts on an XJ areM5x0.7, M6x1.0, M8 x 1.25 and M10 x 1.5. The engine should be SAE for most but accessory mounting not attached to the engine its self will be metric. McMaster also sells killer coated bolts that will hold up well and are graded in 10.8 and 12.8 for suspension and axle attachment.
© 2024 Moparts Forums