Moparts

Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads

Posted By: RDJ

Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/28/09 08:35 PM

Can you use the stock (off of a 1984 360 head) rocker arms/shafts with the 60779 Edelbrock heads with a cam in 230 to 240 at .050 range? If so, is it commonly done?
Posted By: moper

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/28/09 08:51 PM

Yes, but I would check you geometry, and use new arms, not worn pcs.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 12:13 AM

Sure, but as already stated, get new rocker arms if the ones you have are stock. Mancini sells stock style arms that are reinforced. They're pictured here of Eddie heads.

Attached picture 5125961-100_1289.JPG
Posted By: frank

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 12:23 AM

Yes. I use stock type arms on my 383 with Eddy heads. No problems. FYI, I read an article in on of the Mopar mags a few years ago about rocker arms. According to the article, the HD stock type rockers, were in fact no different than stock rockers.

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 01:20 AM

So, putting all the comments together, if the stock ones are new, they are no different than the HD ones Mancini sells (according to the Mopar mag article), and would work fine.

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 01:25 AM

Also, I was thinking maybe the adjustable 273 rocker arm assemblys might work. Anybody use one of those on eddy heads?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 04:16 AM

Not to highjack this post, but can the stock pushrods be used too?

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 07:38 AM

Quote:

Not to highjack this post, but can the stock pushrods be used too?

I would like to know also.
Posted By: moper

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 02:31 PM

The old MP rockers were actually thicker thruout. You can see it in a side by side comparison. The newer MP and Mancini ones have some extra strength around the pushrod from the set I saw last year... It's not a thicker metal, but has some tiny ribs around the backside of the PR seat. I consider them stock arms myself, because they will still flex like mad and dont have the best ratio accuracy. AS far as pushrods, you can use any THAT ARE THE RIGHT LENGTH. When an engine is rebuilt properly, the distances between the rocker and the lifter are affected. So a stock part may be too long. The last part I order is always the pushrods and i use a checking one to measure for the right part. I have yet to need a custom length, but off-the-shelf shorter numbers are commonly used. You really should check. i'm not going to say stock will work because you should be changing (correcting to blueprint dimensions) too much. Decking, milling, smaller base circle cams, valve job quality all affect the pushrod length... But you may find a stock length does work.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 05:40 PM

i used both stock rockers and pushrods with eddy heads...
Posted By: sparcy

Re: Can you use stock rocker arms on Edelbrock heads - 03/29/09 06:10 PM

I built a 1968 383 with eddy heads used new rockers and push rods from PAW and the metal was thicker than the stock ones. the engine in the car did keep pushing the push rods threw the rockers . the new engine is in and rus great!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums