Moparts

Changing Oil Pan Gasket

Posted By: gygeneral

Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/24/20 08:56 PM

I have not much work on engines, I usually have other people do that, but I have a nasty oil leak and I am thinking of ghanging the oil pan gasket myself.
Is it possible without lifting/moving the engine. I realize the center link will have to come out but I'm not sure if that pan will drop and clear the kframe.
Its a 440 , stock oil pan in a 71 Roadrunner.

Thanks
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/24/20 09:01 PM

real pain in the butt if you're using a windage tray. an extra pair of hands doesn't hurt either. i'd probably never do it again.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/24/20 10:32 PM

FIRST make sure it’s leaking there ....

Then ADD a windage tray if it doesn’t have one ....

AND ... you can make that ADDING A TRAY lots easier
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/24/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass..

you ever done this before WITH a windage tray?
Posted By: 68_661charger

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 02:51 AM

Ive pulled the pan on a 383 with a windage tray but on a 68 Charger. Once center link was out of the way it wasnt that bad. I think I only removed 1 point of the center link and just pushed it out of the way instead of removing but its been a long time.

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by lewtot184
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass..

you ever done this before WITH a windage tray?

Yes .... several times.... but it’s TONZ EASIER if you glue(silicone) the gasket on both sides of the tray FIRST ..... AND let it set up for a couple of hours OR overnight....

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 03:03 AM

I was thinking of using that molded gasket that incorporates the windage tray. It would easier than trying to piece a tray and two gaskets.

So I gather there is room to remove the pan, I wasn't sure if the oil pick up would be in the way.

Still not convinced I should try this lol
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 03:09 AM

Get the car up in the air and just check to see if you can get a socket on every bolt. If you can get a socket on each bolt then you should be able to pull the pan without too much of struggle. I use studs on the ends to make things easier. The studs line up the gaskets and windage tray so it all goes together easier.

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 03:10 AM

Gaskets and the tray already together ??

A tray IS a worthy add on performance item up
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 11:49 AM

Hi,

Yes, this is possible. I've done it on a 1972 Road Runner with a 400.

As mentioned, the center link needs to be disconnected at one point and moved out of the way, doesn't need to be removed.

Here's a link to the one-piece windage tray I used:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/502000/10002/-1

Was it easy? Not completely but I've seen worse.

Good luck,

Mike.

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 12:58 PM

Ok thanks evryone, I think i'm going to try it, just ordered that one piece tray.
Posted By: topside

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 01:59 PM

Another tip is that on some cars, the front of the pan gets caught a crank counterweight when you're sliding it backwards.
Just rotating the crank maybe 30 degrees clears that.
You do want to verify it's not a rear main seal leak - all too common - which a pan gasket won't fix.

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by moparmike1
Hi,

Yes, this is possible. I've done it on a 1972 Road Runner with a 400.

As mentioned, the center link needs to be disconnected at one point and moved out of the way, doesn't need to be removed.

Here's a link to the one-piece windage tray I used:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/502000/10002/-1

Was it easy? Not completely but I've seen worse.

Good luck,

Mike.

That’s a PLASTIC tray ? eek
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by gygeneral
Ok thanks evryone, I think i'm going to try it, just ordered that one piece tray.

Jegs says for use with a flat pan rail like a fabricated pan would have. Here is a picture of the gasket/tray and a picture of a typical stock type stamped steel pan rail. Good luck with that. Maybe you could fill the stiffening beads in the pan rails with epoxy so that the ribs in the gasket would have something to seal against.

Attached picture Screenshot_20200725_140212.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20200725_145525.jpg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/25/20 08:10 PM

I was thinking of using that molded gasket that incorporates the windage tray. It would easier than trying to piece a tray and two gaskets.

I believe those are designed to be reuseable, if so then tie each hole in the gasket to the pan using thread and install it.

I will make your life so much easier.

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/26/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

Jegs says for use with a flat pan rail like a fabricated pan would have. Here is a picture of the gasket/tray and a picture of a typical stock type stamped steel pan rail. Good luck with that. Maybe you could fill the stiffening beads in the pan rails with epoxy so that the ribs in the gasket would have something to seal against.

the pic of that gasket is the up side, the engine block sealing surface, I wonder what it looks like on the bottom side, where it would seal against the cover. I see your point about the stiffening beads, Summit site does not say the same as the Jegs site

Re: Changing Oil Pan Gasket - 07/26/20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

the pic of that gasket is the up side, the engine block sealing surface, I wonder what it looks like on the bottom side, where it would seal against the cover. I see your point about the stiffening beads, Summit site does not say the same as the Jegs site

Ok found my answer on the Mr Gasket website, it has pics of both sides and they are the same. See the info under Tech Resources at the bottom
https://www.holley.com/products/accessories/oil_pans/oil_pan_accessories/parts/61100G
© 2024 Moparts Forums