Moparts

manual steering box swap/with motor in car

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

manual steering box swap/with motor in car - 07/24/20 01:37 PM

Can this be done in a 70 B body without removing the motor?
Thanks
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: manual steering box swap/with motor in car - 07/24/20 02:46 PM

I did it on a '65 coronet with an RB engine and headers. wasn't easy, but doable. IIRC I had to raise the engine on the driver side and remove the header. cast exhaust manifolds would make the swap much easier.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: manual steering box swap/with motor in car - 07/24/20 05:16 PM

Heck, we had a guy here recently that did that on an A body, I imagine a B is not as difficult, but I have never owned a B, so take it for what it's worth, diddly, lol.
Posted By: challenger70

Re: manual steering box swap/with motor in car - 07/24/20 07:28 PM

I went from power to manual without touching anything else on a big block 70 E-body with headers.
Posted By: Willie68coronet

Re: manual steering box swap/with motor in car - 07/24/20 08:35 PM

I did it on my68 coronet a few years ago, it had a 383 with hedman 1-3/4 headers. I had to raise the drivers side of the engine. Getting the manual box in was easier than getting the power box out. One of the best changes I made.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: manual steering box swap/with motor in car - 07/25/20 02:02 PM

Willie I already have a manual box in the car now. It has play even after tightening it up. This will be simply a manual to manual swap. I imagine is should be easier???? Any recommendations for a new box for a mostly drag car?
Mike
Posted By: furious70

Re: manual steering box swap/with motor in car - 07/28/20 02:51 PM

I've done PS box R&R in my 68 Charger with 440 and headers - needed to take the header loose and down and take the box out from the top. Manual box should be 'easy'.
© 2024 Moparts Forums