Moparts

Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is?

Posted By: SportFuryS/23383

Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/14/20 05:57 PM

Hi All,

Does anybody know what the hell this thing is? This came from our 1966 Charger that is being restified at this time, here is the build if anyone want to see it.....https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2765092/so-it-begins-1966-dodge-charger-restification.html#Post2765092. The piece says F E on it, and car was a California car all its' life so could it be something for emissions in CA? That is what I originally thought since it says F E. Does anyone think this piece is at all important? We are NOT going to reuse it anyway but I am just wondering what the hell it is before we toss it out in the trash.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

Attached picture piece 1.jpeg
Attached picture piece 2.jpeg
Attached picture piece 3.jpeg
Attached picture piece 4.jpeg
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/14/20 07:09 PM

It's an emissions solenoid, like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-...er-GTX-Coronet-Charger-R-T-/362907032559
[Linked Image]
Posted By: topside

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/14/20 07:45 PM

Worth some money for an accurate restoration, I think.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/14/20 09:47 PM

It's not a solenoid, per se. It's called a deceleration valve. One port goes to manifold vacuum, one port goes to the distributor vacuum advance can, and one port goes to the advance nipple on the carburetor. What it does is when the throttle abruptly closes and the manifold vacuum increases above the valve's setpoint, it admits full manifold vacuum to the distributor advance can for emission reduction. Virtually every marque in the late 60's early 70's used a variation of it at some time. This is the AMC version.

Attached picture Deceleration Valve NOS-1.JPG
Posted By: robertop

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/15/20 10:55 AM

In my 69 manual it's called a distributor vacuum control valve (page 14-3) and it does what has been told here.

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/17/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Worth some money for an accurate restoration, I think.

According to the one SNK-EYZS posted it is worth $70.00 BUT that is an NOS one, I could PROBABLY get at least $30.00-$35.00 out of this one I think right?
Posted By: topside

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/17/20 02:46 PM

Depends on how well it cleans up.
It's more of a restoration part than an essential part, so condition and any #s are important.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/17/20 05:09 PM

Those where not used on any production Mopar until 1968, I live in CA from 1945 until 2005 and have been a Mopar racers since 1964 and have had more than one 1968 Mopar car sold new in CA with one of those on them shruggy
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/17/20 05:20 PM

I believe some of the ports are different diameters for different engines, what engine was in the Charger?
Posted By: TJP

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/18/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Those where not used on any production Mopar until 1968, I live in CA from 1945 until 2005 and have been a Mopar racers since 1964 and have had more than one 1968 Mopar car sold new in CA with one of those on them shruggy

iagree

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/18/20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 6bblgt
I believe some of the ports are different diameters for different engines, what engine was in the Charger?

383 Hi-Po (4bbl).

Here are a couple pictures from my build thread, and here is the thread...... https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2765092/2.html

Attached picture engine-out-1.jpeg
Attached picture engine-3.jpeg
Attached picture engine-14.jpeg
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/18/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 6bblgt

I don't believe that is accurate. I have the Ford, AMC, and Mopar versions of this valve and the only difference is the cap color and the mounting bracket. Other than those two differences, they are identical.

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/19/20 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ

Yes you are correct on this. I looked at the fender tag and sure enough the car has the clean air package (cap) (E1 on the 2nd or middle row of the tag) Does anybody think this is factory or dealer installed then?
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Anybody Know What The Hell This Thing Is? - 06/20/20 06:00 AM

I would say that it was installed in the assembly plant when the car was built since it's an clean air package car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums