Moparts

Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up?

Posted By: scotts66charger

Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/27/09 03:00 PM

I have replaced the stock timing chain, with a new double roller chain and gears, The harmonic balance came off with some prying, but now it seems hard, maybe ever stuck, when I try to put it back on. Do I just need to get a 2x4 and a hammer, and tap it back on, or what do you think I might be up against? Mid 70'S 440 .Thanks. scott
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/27/09 03:02 PM

It's a press fit , the wrong way is to hammer it on , the correct way is to draw it on with a balancer installer and or use the bolt .

You PRYED it off ???

Re: Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/27/09 03:06 PM

Well, pryed is a bad word. I used a H/B puller. Thanks for the info, I will try that.
Posted By: VT_Dart

Re: Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/27/09 03:31 PM

Factory balancer? Shouldn't be that tough to install, just use a install tool. Aftermarket ones often need to be honed to fit, so don't force it. You can also warm it up in an oven enough to get it on... although not preferred, it shouldn't hurt it as long as you don't get the thing REALLY hot.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/27/09 04:27 PM

It's 3/4 fine get a piece of 3/4 fine threaded rod and make your own installation tool. Or get a long 3/4 fine bolt and start pulling it with that and washers till your stock bolt will finish the job

Re: Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/27/09 08:21 PM

Right on. Thanx guys !!
Posted By: phantomx

Re: Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/28/09 02:58 AM

Dont' use a bolt to pull it on, you will distort the threads in the crank snout and you will end up hating yourself later. Use threaded rod and a nut with washers.
Travis..
Posted By: 340KID

Re: Harmonic Balincer hard to put back on. Whats up? - 03/28/09 01:27 PM

Is a small block also 3/4 fine ?
© 2024 Moparts Forums