Moparts

Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block

Posted By: hp383

Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block - 04/25/20 10:42 PM

I am looking for an aluminum intake but I need to be able to keep the AC.

The Edelbrock Performer is the only intake I know of that has the offset thermostat location and the bracket bosses for the factory AC.

Have you guys ever used other intakes, WIEAND, Eddy Air Gap, or that Chinese made air gap, and been able to retain the AC.

How did you make it work?
Posted By: topside

Re: Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block - 04/26/20 12:21 AM

I used the basic Eddy Performer for mine: 406" SB & Thermoquad.
Opened up the runners a little near the heads.
Stock AC & everything else fit without problems.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block - 04/26/20 12:55 AM

Depends on what style AC compressor. If you have the C171 the only one I know that clears it is the Edelbrock Performer.

RV2 most any will clear.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block - 04/26/20 09:42 PM

we just released our small block ac serpentine belt kit. you can run any intake you want. and the kit uses all modern accessories like a sanden ac compressor. so you can shave some weight off the front end and not have to sacrifice any HP using a non optimal intake for the application.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block - 04/27/20 06:35 PM

Torker II had offset thermostat. That's probably the easiest "Performance" one to find.

Several of the last generation M1 intakes had both offset thermostat housing
and provisions for the smaller stamped steel housing but AFAIK those part numbers are all killed off/only available used.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block - 04/27/20 07:43 PM

Don't forget the Magnum intakes have yet another offset and I don;t know what clears those.

RV2 thermostat location, will not clear a C171

[Linked Image]

C171 thermostat location, also has the boss for the stock bracket in c171 applications.

[Linked Image]

Magnum thermostat location I dunno what it clears.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Which aluminum intake to retain AC on LA small block - 04/28/20 12:32 AM

Jerry, do you have any more info on the small block serpentine kit? I went to your website looking for info/pics and I just see caps and stud girdles. Can you either post pics and info or make a new thread explaining the kit and if one needs to supply the modern accessories (and what vehicle to get them from)?

Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums