Moparts

Stock Radiator Flow Question

Posted By: Anonymous

Stock Radiator Flow Question - 03/25/09 03:21 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anyone knows the stock radiator flow of a 26" big block radiator or if there is a way to calculate it.

I have been having a problem with overheating and was contemplating an electric waterpump (35gpm).

Right now the car will drive all day around 200F but as soon as I hit traffic it will start climbing and will drop back to around 205F.

Why I ask is so I can decide whether or not the electric waterpump will outcool the highflow waterpump I have on right now.

I have done all their is to do according to all the information I have gathered through the years on this board. (Small fans, bigger fans, different kinds of schrouds, materials etc, timing)....

It's just seems like this is the temperature the car wants to work but I'm not comfortable with it....

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!
Posted By: ademon

Re: Stock Radiator Flow Question - 03/25/09 03:25 PM

Don't have an any idea on how to calculate that but if its a stock radiator maybe you need to add some cores.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stock Radiator Flow Question - 03/25/09 03:33 PM

Forgot to add, the rad has been recently recored with 3 cores...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Stock Radiator Flow Question - 03/25/09 03:41 PM

Not enough airflow and or inadequate radiator or a combination of both. If you have a 7 blade properly spaced(into the shroud) thermal clutch fan I'd upgrade the radiator. Your w/p is plenty adequate.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Stock Radiator Flow Question - 03/25/09 03:55 PM

I would say that you have plenty of coolant flow but you have an air flow problem. Make sure to have a good fan and shroud and the radiator support sealed to the hood. Anything to get better air flow through the radiator at low speeds where you are having your problems.
© 2024 Moparts Forums