Moparts

Tranny tools

Posted By: mopar97

Tranny tools - 04/01/20 02:31 PM

I haven't built a 904/727 tranny in several years. Actually an old employer had the correct tools, I just use welding vise grips to hold the compressed pistons.
What tool do ya'll recommend to remove the drum pistons so I can replace the seals?
I see them on the net in all shapes and sizes.
Any recommendations?

Thanks
Allen
Posted By: dOc …

Re: Tranny tools - 04/01/20 03:55 PM

I made all of mine except for the front seal tool.

It’s a diff tool for the 904/727 piston removal
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Tranny tools - 04/01/20 11:10 PM

I bought a turbo 350 drum compressor and made it work.....
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Tranny tools - 04/01/20 11:38 PM

A C clamp is all the special tool that I ever needed. Not that a C clamp is something unique. Special tools are nice but I do so few automatics that I don't see the need to buy them. I prefer manuals. I think the last automatic I did was a FWD transaxle out of an 89 Plymouth turbovan almost 20 years ago.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Tranny tools - 04/07/20 09:17 PM

This is what I made and have used many times for compressing the drum clutch pack while removing the center retaining clip.
Pay attention to the location of the "stands" that seat on the spring retainer. If too close together, you can't remove the retaining clip.

Attached picture 727_clutch_compressor.jpg
Posted By: TJP

Re: Tranny tools - 04/07/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
This is what I made and have used many times for compressing the drum clutch pack while removing the center retaining clip.
Pay attention to the location of the "stands" that seat on the spring retainer. If too close together, you can't remove the retaining clip.

A buddy made me a similar one (although not as nice) out of scraps he had laying 40+ years ago. up beer
Posted By: mopar97

Re: Tranny tools - 04/08/20 03:41 PM

Thanks for your input. I purchased one that works well for less than $70.00. I build a trans every yer or two so I didn't want a $2-300 purchase.
Thanks Again
Allen
Posted By: aspenrt360

Re: Tranny tools - 04/10/20 12:54 AM

nice work simple but effective.
© 2024 Moparts Forums