Moparts

STP oil

Posted By: dynamite

STP oil - 03/22/20 11:22 AM

Just another oil question.... does anyone use the STP oil in their cars.. Not the additive ,but full synthetic 10-30 motor oil...I use it in my pick up and it's fine ..Just wondering if it's ok for some big horse power?? Just want some feed back ... Thanks Larry
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: STP oil - 03/22/20 04:13 PM

I'd imagine it carries the same old engine risks as any other modern day API rated oil for newer engines.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: STP oil - 03/22/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by dynamite
Just another oil question.... does anyone use the STP oil in their cars.. Not the additive ,but the 10-30 motor oil...I use it in my pick up and it's fine ..Just wondering if it's ok for some big horse power?? Just want some feed back ... Thanks Larry

It is a viscosity index improver in a can. That means you are adding a plastic or rubber media in a solution with most likely a group III base stock.

That's the LAST thing you want to use. Also, it's not an assembly lube.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: STP oil - 03/22/20 09:23 PM

And he's not talking about STP oil treatment.

He's talking about STP branded motor oil
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: STP oil - 03/22/20 09:35 PM

No experience with it, but I would want to know who actually makes it. Private label products, any of them, make me nervous. You don't know who made it (usually the lowest bidder), or what kind of consistency to expect.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: STP oil - 03/22/20 11:43 PM

I try not to go over there much but I bet the answers are there.

www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com
Posted By: redraptor

Re: STP oil - 03/23/20 11:18 AM

I've used it. Seems fine for most stuff. I use cheap oil in cheap vehicles. TSC is selling their oil sometimes 2 bux a quart.
Posted By: formula_s

Re: STP oil - 03/23/20 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

Amazing how blind some are.... look at the questions asked when responding to an ad,"does the car have power steering and power brakes?" when there are close-up pictures of same. "Where is the car located?" when the seller clearly gives his city,state ect. Its called the dumbing down of America.
Posted By: topside

Re: STP oil - 03/23/20 07:25 PM

Back to the topic, I just looked at a jug of STP oil, 10W30 I think it was, and as far as origin:
"Made in the USA from domestic and imported product".
That was the dino product, black jug, not the synthetic.

I've used it in my DD & plow truck for some time, no problems.
On a race or special engine, I'll only use a name-brand performance oil.
On a couple of the FT motors using any oil with a reduced zinc & phosphorous, I'm still adding some of the old GM EOS.
Basically that decision is based on valve spring load.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: STP oil - 03/23/20 07:32 PM

Many of today's oils are made by someone else, then re-branded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalie_Oil_Company is one example,

I think they make oil for some crazy number like 200 company's but I forget what the actual number is
Posted By: unknown

Re: STP oil - 03/24/20 01:44 PM

I have used it in the past on a everyday truck. no problems.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: STP oil - 03/24/20 07:31 PM

Looked at all my gallon jugs in the garage and 3 are STP 5W30. So I have done at least 3 oil changes on the wifes Buick that is at 320,000 miles. It has always gotten the inexpensive stuff so Delo 400 and Chevron Supreme. But I think Autozone had a package deal of but 1 gallon and get a STP oil filter free.

I will not use it in my Subaru Outback XT's turbo.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: STP oil - 03/25/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by formula_s
Originally Posted by Sniper

Amazing how blind some are.... look at the questions asked when responding to an ad,"does the car have power steering and power brakes?" when there are close-up pictures of same. "Where is the car located?" when the seller clearly gives his city,state ect. Its called the dumbing down of America.

So I missed it. Get over it. I don't use rebranded oil. Most of the time it's form the end of a big run and they are built on the bottom of the grade.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: STP oil - 03/25/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
No experience with it, but I would want to know who actually makes it. Private label products, any of them, make me nervous. You don't know who made it (usually the lowest bidder), or what kind of consistency to expect.

Why, Andy Granatelli.
© 2024 Moparts Forums