Moparts

Truck VIN rivets?

Posted By: NFURY8

Truck VIN rivets? - 03/24/09 06:14 PM

I have a 70 truck that needs VIN rivets. I know the rosettes are available, but it doesn't use rosettes. These have a thicker, more domed head, and might be stainless. Although they drilled out like aluminum. I already checked with ECS, after seeing them reply to a post for rosettes.

I know these are correct, I have a couple other trucks with the same setup. This truck happens to have 2 plates, the second plate just shows extra equipment and was held on either a regular pop rivet.

You can see the difference here.

Posted By: wyldebill

Re: Truck VIN rivets? - 03/25/09 03:32 AM

unless you are doing a full on resto, I dont think anybody will notice that they are not the correct ones.
Posted By: NFURY8

Re: Truck VIN rivets? - 03/25/09 04:02 AM

It is far from a points vehicle, and I have no intention of selling any time soon. But the difference is a lot more obvious in person. I would prefer to play it safe.

When I bought my 71 the owner told me the Highway Patrol impounded it for 24 hours when he brought it in from out of state, while they verified that it wasn't supposed to rosettes. But I did drive my Fury 15 yrs with the VIN pop riveted on upside down with no problems. Back in the 80's we didn't pay any attention when we changed the dash pad.
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: Truck VIN rivets? - 03/25/09 04:40 AM

i've drilled a few of them out piecing a couple of early trucks together. you might try fastenal or a specalty fastener shop. they may be able to get you something thats close. I had a mid 70s crew cab that had no vin tag on it at all. never had any trouble with it.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Truck VIN rivets? - 03/25/09 06:27 AM

loose lips sink ships....
© 2024 Moparts Forums