Moparts

91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working...

Posted By: russ71satellite

91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 02:49 AM

Is the speed/distance sensor about the only likely cause of a speedo and odometer not working in a 91 Spirit?
Thanks for the help..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 04:58 AM

broken/siezed cable.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 02:22 PM

I dont think 91 has a cable. Its driven electronicly via a speed sensor.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 05:49 PM

I used to have a 91 Daytona and the speedo acted up. Sometimes it wouldn't work, sometimes it would. Sometimes while decellerating from 70mph the speedo would stick on 70 for a while before dropping to normal. I put a speed sensor in it and didn't have any more problems. Hope that helps!
Posted By: JD340

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 08:48 PM

Quote:

I used to have a 91 Daytona and the speedo acted up. Sometimes it wouldn't work, sometimes it would. Sometimes while decellerating from 70mph the speedo would stick on 70 for a while before dropping to normal. I put a speed sensor in it and didn't have any more problems. Hope that helps!

Don't wanna hijack, but I was gonna post this question as well. 97 Neon, same symptoms as above,except for the sticking. Is it worth the time to remove the sensor and clean connections, or should I just replace it?

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't wanna hijack, but I was gonna post this question as well. 97 Neon, same symptoms as above,except for the sticking. Is it worth the time to remove the sensor and clean connections, or should I just replace it?

You should check for fault codes first. If there is one it could be a sensor. Also verify if the odometer does not work at the same time. If it does work and the mph needle does not the problem could be in the speedo head/cluster.

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 09:36 PM

"You should check for fault codes first. If there is one it could be a sensor. Also verify if the odometer does not work at the same time. If it does work and the mph needle does not the problem could be in the speedo head/cluster."

When the speedo quits, the odo and trip meter also quit. Have scanner, will check! Now, will scanner show a code if the speedo IS working at the time I plug in the scanner? Or only when the speedo is dead?

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 10:00 PM

Quote:

"You should check for fault codes first. If there is one it could be a sensor. Also verify if the odometer does not work at the same time. If it does work and the mph needle does not the problem could be in the speedo head/cluster."

When the speedo quits, the odo and trip meter also quit. Have scanner, will check! Now, will scanner show a code if the speedo IS working at the time I plug in the scanner? Or only when the speedo is dead?

If the speedo does not work the computer should induce and store a code.
Posted By: rrunner

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/09/08 11:15 PM

Most likly the speed sensor, they go bad ALL the time.

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 04:09 AM

thanks for the info...yep, this car does not have a cable.

Could it also be a broken tooth on the gears in the speedo? I hope not...
Posted By: dave571

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 04:12 AM

speed sensor is a very common failure on these.
Gears, not so much, but always a possibility.

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If the speedo does not work the computer should induce and store a code.

Scanned it this morning. No codes. No speedo,odo, etc for most of the time I was running around this morning. Came back to life a couple miles from home. I'll order up the speed sensor. Hopefully it does the trick.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 04:48 PM

If the speed sensor pops back to life at all, even for a second, it'll automatically clear the code in the computer. Mine was like that too, intermittantly dieing, changed speed sensor and all was good.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 05:07 PM

This is kinda 'backyard' but if you have cruise, set the cruise control. If the car goes out of cruise when the gauges die, it could be the speed sensor. If the car does not drop out of cruise, then it's probably the gauge cluster. As to the Neon cluster, Google something like 'Neon gauge problem'. This failure seems to be common.

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 05:11 PM

Quote:

If the speed sensor pops back to life at all, even for a second, it'll automatically clear the code in the computer. Mine was like that too, intermittantly dieing, changed speed sensor and all was good.

It will not automaticly clear the code. The code will stay for aprox 50 ignition cycles.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 05:55 PM

Just a piece of info I run a trans shop and have had many chrylers come in with speedo problems speedo not working and they had not set one code at all put the scanner on and go to data and no reading from output sensor but no codes so just because there is not a code that doent mean the speed sensor isnt bad.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 07:47 PM

Quote:

It will not automaticly clear the code. The code will stay for aprox 50 ignition cycles.

Sure about that? Cause mine never set a code and I checked it a few times. But change the sensor and problem was gone forever...?

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sure about that? Cause mine never set a code and I checked it a few times. But change the sensor and problem was gone forever...?

Yes. Once the code is set and the problem iscorrected or does not happen again you have to either reset with a scan tool or the older ones should clear in 50 ignition cycles.

Read your post. You said it automaticly clears itself.
Posted By: 340Scamp

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 10:49 PM

I had a 94 spirit and the same thing happened to me. I never did figure it out. I think my car had a short in the dash but I'm not sure.

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/10/08 11:48 PM

like I said above I have had a number of them in the shop with bad speed sensor that never set a code
Posted By: AdventurerSport

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/11/08 12:17 AM

My '91 Acclaim did that a few years ago...no speedo/odo, no code, but changed the sensor and been fine ever since...almost 80,000 miles ago...:)

JS

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/12/08 02:50 AM

just checked for codes, and I'm getting a 38. this is a 3.0L. Does anyone know what this code is?
Also, when I turn the key quickly to read the code, occasionally the speedo needle pegs, then goes back down. What does that mean?

Thanks

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/13/08 02:21 AM

bump...

speedo needle bounces and pegs while I turn key to read codes...any ideas what that means?

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/13/08 01:27 PM

shop key shows 38 being lock up control problem

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/14/08 03:16 AM

Replaced the speed sensor today, but no help...
Posted By: burdar

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/14/08 03:19 AM

You were already there to replace the sensor. It wouldn't hurt to check the plastic gear. I've seen them get stripped on a 727. I'm sure it's possible on your as well. If you clean up the sensor good enough you might be able to take it back and say you didn't install it.

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/14/08 03:25 AM

the gear looks good. It was of course attached to the old sensor, but I checked it and clipped it onto the new sensor.

Re: 91 Spirit...speedo and odometer not working... - 06/16/08 01:54 PM

Hey Russ, it's the Hijacker here. Messed around with my Neon the better part of Saturday. New speed sensor=NO change. Started tearing into gauge cluster. Poor connection between cluster and dash wiring. Gave terminals a little twist to improve connection. Result: still intermittent at best. Built up terminals with a little solder. Same result! Maybe there is a break in the wiring somewhere. I haven't found it yet! I feel your frustration with this. We probably put 10-15 miles on the car, on the hoist trying to find the "sweet" spot where the speedo would run consistently. If we ever trace it down, I'll give you a heads up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums