Moparts

3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ?

Posted By: dOoC

3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 01:34 PM

Jsta doing some preventative maintenance and going to replace these along with a water pump .... are these pulleys the same ? Is there any real need to change the tensioner part also ?

Have a MERRY and a HAPPY Santa4
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 06:12 PM

Tensioners are common to fail ( creates a fluttering noise in the belt )
Idlers not so much unless you have a bearing noise
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 06:25 PM

You don't mention the specific application, I seem to recall a minivan, but Dayco sells a kit with a new belt, idler pulley and tensioner for a reasonable cost. Generally speaking, if I buy a new to me vehicle adn the belt is original or in need of replacement I just buy the kit and replace it all, one less worry.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 06:38 PM

i second that. iagree buy the kit.
beer

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 07:07 PM

Thx guyz ... and MopX eek

Yes it is a CarrotVan... 2005 ... and something that I should have mentioned... it seems like there is a slight pulley noise that gets slightly worse when you flick the AC on. The noise seems to be only noticeable at idle.

The potential tensioner belt flutter ? ... don’t think I have that issue but I’ll check for free movement of that piece.

That whole package ? Around 160$ eek

Again ... is the pulley on the tensioner the same as the idler ?

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

... is the pulley on the tensioner the same as the idler ?

No

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 07:37 PM

For a 2005 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 RA lists multiple kits, staring at $52 from Gates, up to $120 for a Dayco one that also includes the alternator over running pulley, if you have one.

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
For a 2005 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 RA lists multiple kits, staring at $52 from Gates, up to $120 for a Dayco one that also includes the alternator over running pulley, if you have one.

Where did you pull up those prices ?

And WHERE did they come up with these prices ? Almost 190$ !!

Attached picture BCE57E27-97A2-48A3-88D8-087BE436F212.png

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/22/19 11:51 PM

38398K shows up for a mid 90's minivan. I thought you had a 05 Caravan?

I got the prices at RockAuto. In the deals section here there is even a discount code.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/23/19 07:30 AM

Not sure why anyone buys a new tensioner when all you have to do is remove the pulley wheel, open the rubber seal on the bearing and grease it with a needle. Pack the grease in with your fingers and put it back together.

I've never bought a new tensioner.or idler wheel. For that matter, one of my serpentine belts is almost 20 years and 300,000 plus miles old. Never had a problem. shruggy

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/23/19 12:58 PM

I got the prices at RockAuto. In the deals section here there is even a discount code.

Snip ..., that’s the number that came up on the ebay search .,.

RA ? ... never bought anything from them. When I did a past search on wheel bearings, water pumps and a radiator... their prices on that stuff was way more than ebay

STILL have to pose that Q ... how did that seller come up with those numbers for that package? OR is that jsta wishful thinking and hoping on the part of the seller. ?

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/23/19 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Not sure why anyone buys a new tensioner when all you have to do is remove the pulley wheel, open the rubber seal on the bearing and grease it with a needle. Pack the grease in with your fingers and put it back together.

I've never bought a new tensioner.or idler wheel. For that matter, one of my serpentine belts is almost 20 years and 300,000 plus miles old. Never had a problem. shruggy

Grizz ... interesting perspective! I’ll look into that.

And that belt situation? laugh2

I’m NO PRO at doing tons of 3.8 stuff but I’ve never seen a belt that was deteriorated beyond use OTHER THAN one that was in a car with a missing shield.

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/24/19 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Snip ..., that’s the number that came up on the ebay search .,.

RA ? ... never bought anything from them. When I did a past search on wheel bearings, water pumps and a radiator... their prices on that stuff was way more than ebay

STILL have to pose that Q ... how did that seller come up with those numbers for that package? OR is that jsta wishful thinking and hoping on the part of the seller. ?

Ive never had a tensionor issue due to the pulley bearing.
Its always been the spring / pivot where the 2 halves connect
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/24/19 01:13 PM

Check Rock Auto, less than $100 for the Enhanced Kit (Upgraded kit)

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/25/19 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 451Mopar
Check Rock Auto, less than $100 for the Enhanced Kit (Upgraded kit)

Thx 51 ... do you have a link for that ? I have had VERY BAD luck searching for parts on RA in the past ..
Posted By: sthemi

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/26/19 05:47 AM

the spring loaded idler is no fun to change.
did one on my 2000 t&c a few years back.

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/26/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by sthemi

splain please !
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/26/19 04:51 PM

Doc try looking up a how to on that job. You will probably find a few. Internet is full of how to vids.

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/26/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by sthemi

how so ?

I've changed hundreds of them and to me they're a piece of cake .
A 15mm box wrench ( long version helps ) and a belt tension-er tool with a 1/2" adapter on it is all you need.

FYI, to me the easiest way to change them is from below with the car on a lift . but it can be done on jack stands

Re: 3.3/3.8 tensioner and idler pulleys ? - 12/26/19 08:44 PM

getX ... hundreds of them ? So there is or is not a grease option?

stumpster ..... don’t need a YouTube vid on this ... honestly I’ve had the shield off but never looked at the pulleys as a r and r project but IIRC it’s jsta 2 bolts total for both units.

Interesting bit of trivia ... on the sealed front wheel bearings.., how many times do they spin 360 degrees during 200,000 miles ?

Then THESE pulleys ... eek
© 2024 Moparts Forums