Moparts

Fuel tank sending units

Posted By: Lee446

Fuel tank sending units - 06/28/19 03:18 PM

I need a new 3/8 sending unit for my 70 Cuda. Has there been any improvements in the last few years in these? I have bought a few for other Mopars thru the years and the accuracy was pretty dismal. Any particular brand or vendor you can recommend?
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 06/28/19 05:43 PM

Nope they all suck
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 06/28/19 06:25 PM

there was a prior thread (or two) on where a good one might be obtained (agreed they are the worst of the worst & definitely do your homework).
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 06/29/19 10:00 AM

not too long ago someone posted a reply with a link to a company that will rebuild them to be accurate.ill see if i can find the link. sendingunitguy@gmail.com (315-712-0071). i havnt talked to them yet but im gunna.
Posted By: robertop

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 07/01/19 12:49 AM

I just bought a repro for my 69 Hemi bird from Year One, and the guy told me they did not get any complaints......so, we'll see in a week or two.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 07/01/19 02:45 PM

I got my new tank and sending unit from a reputable source and I think I can say it will never leave me stranded because I can't make it home after hitting Empty. On my 18 gallon tank, it leaves me with a nine gallon safety margin. Better than the alternative I guess.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 07/01/19 04:03 PM

Agreed, if there's a choice I'd ideally like to have a few gallons left when the needle hits E
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 07/01/19 04:32 PM

Reminds me of my riding days, run till you go empty, flip on the reserve and look for a station.

That worked ok till I forgot to flip back. Then I bought a new EFI bike with no reserve so that idea was out the window.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 07/01/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Reminds me of my riding days, run till you go empty, flip on the reserve and look for a station.

That worked ok till I forgot to flip back.

Did the same thing. haha

Originally Posted by Sniper

Then I bought a new EFI bike with no reserve so that idea was out the window.

I didn't know the newer efi bikes lacked a reserve. Too bad.
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: Fuel tank sending units - 07/01/19 11:45 PM

I just finished installing a meter match in my dart. It allows you to program set points to make the sending unit accurate. It will be a while before I get a chance to use it but in theory it looks like it should work great. It has several calibration points to compensate for odd shaped tanks.
https://www.technoversions.com/MeterMatchHome.html
A bonus is that the unit will provide the voltage to your gauge so the old limiter can be removed. Although you still need to power the temp gauge with a different source. The meter match instructions say it will only handle one gauge. I installed a 7805 regulator, and heatsink to power my temp gauge.
© 2024 Moparts Forums