Moparts

e-body headlight switch

Posted By: GomangoCuda

e-body headlight switch - 06/22/19 07:14 PM

The only time that my instrument lights and parking lights come on is when I hold the headlight switch in between parking and headlights. But that is just before headlights come on. as soon as I move the switch far enough for headlights then no instrument or parking lights. I took apart the headlight switch and cleaned up all of the internal contacts. Still works exactly the same. I don't think it is a ground issue as all of the instrument and parking lights do work as long as I hold the headlight switch in one very small spot between parking and headlights. Any Ideas? Do i bite the bullet and buy a $150 rebuilt switch? or is there something else in play here that I am missing?

confused I am about ready to put the parking and instrument lights on a toggle switch.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/22/19 07:22 PM

A failed high beam switch can cause problems in the rest of the system, have you checked it?

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/22/19 08:00 PM

Well I just drove it last night. High and low beams worked as intended. Had to turn headlights off to see the instruments. Not so good. I actually did that a couple of times to take a quick peek at the Water Temp and Oil Pressure. Probably not the smartest thing I ever did. It was seriously dark at the time.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/23/19 12:54 AM

is there a cheaper HL switch you can purchase? (or a used one). I would feed 12V to each of the female terminals in the HL connector & see if every circuit responds normally. EDIT are E body switches unique?

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/23/19 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
EDIT are E body switches unique?

Yup.

Attached picture IMG_20190622_132627749~2.jpg

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/23/19 01:22 AM

LOL, that sure came out big.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/23/19 06:07 AM

Worn/Sloppy/Misaligned HL switch.
See pic.
When wiper B1 goes to HL position, wiper B2 moves to far off contact strip.
Or B1 wiper needs to move too far, & then B2 goes off contact.
Open it up again & re-inspect.

Attached picture DSCN3505.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/23/19 01:09 PM

can you drill out the rivets & open it up, likely an easy fix at that point.
Posted By: Slotts

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/23/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Do i bite the bullet and buy a $150 rebuilt switch?

Nope! Friends don't recommend friends to buy attempted rebuilt electrical Mopar parts on Ebay. Don't fall for those fake pictures.

Your switch can be RESTORED for a lot less and in a weeks turn around time.

Jim
Posted By: randavis

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/24/19 12:55 AM

Jim did a fantastic job on my e-body dash dimmer switch. I have pics to prove it.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: e-body headlight switch - 06/24/19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by randavis
Jim did a fantastic job on my e-body dash dimmer switch. I have pics to prove it.

Another vote for Jim at JS Restorations. He did a great job on my dash dimmer switch also!
© 2024 Moparts Forums