Moparts

Aftermarket Glass thoughts

Posted By: 68rtcharger

Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/01/19 07:11 PM

I was curious if anyone has used aftermarket glass for your car? I have a couple large stacks of factory glass I could polish out and look "okay" I have been kicking around the idea of ordering a complete set of aftermarket glass

What is your thoughts? Pro Cons?
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/01/19 08:43 PM

I have no personal experience myself with any of the aftermarket glass, but heard its a little thinner then the factory stuff. Don't know how true that is. Just something I heard.

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/01/19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRacer69
I have no personal experience myself with any of the aftermarket glass, but heard its a little thinner then the factory stuff. Don't know how true that is. Just something I heard.

I have heard the same thing. Im curious if would effect window sealing or would leak air bad
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/01/19 10:37 PM

PPG glass.. is the only after market glass to get... still American made ,,most or all others are junk.. j..I bought and had pro install,, they said it's the best..just did my 77 Volare.. ..perfect fit..windshield..I found them on line..I picked it up at their warehouse in NJ..If you can't find them I may be able dig out the info.. Wiffy doesn;t throw out anything...

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/02/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by dynamite
PPG glass.. is the only after market glass to get... still American made ,,most or all others are junk.. j..I bought and had pro install,, they said it's the best..just did my 77 Volare.. ..perfect fit..windshield..I found them on line..I picked it up at their warehouse in NJ..If you can't find them I may be able dig out the info.. Wiffy doesn;t throw out anything...

Thank you!
I found PPG Auto Glass online, but the website showed no glass available for my application (68 Charger)
Posted By: topside

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/02/19 02:56 AM

It may be that Pilkington makes the glass, I don't know...AMD and whoever else sells the glass may be the only vendors.
There's AMD front & back glass in one of my cars ('68 Road Runner), and it seems fine as far as fit & finish, and the windshield fits the rubber gasket (also replaced) properly.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/02/19 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by 68rtcharger
Originally Posted by dynamite

Thank you!
I found PPG Auto Glass online, but the website showed no glass available for my application (68 Charger)

All your going to get from PPG for a 68-70 Charger is the front windshield in tint only....if you want any other glass, or clear for the car, contact ECS or AMD, depending on your wallet and requirements...

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/02/19 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRacer69

I have heard the same thing. Im curious if would effect window sealing or would leak air bad

All the glass now, PPG or aftermarket is running .200 thick/5mm OEM stock glass was only .050 thicker...
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/02/19 11:43 AM

I just bought new windshield for 70 cuda. (Local glass place)117 bucks tax and out the door. I can't tell any differance in it and any other windshield... The only job it has to do is not leak. (And that's not really the glass) and keep the things on the outside...outside

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/02/19 11:32 PM

Anyone heard of www.VintageGlass.com ?

They quoted me a price for all 8pcs for the Charger. I would need to call them to confirm if the quote included shipping, but if so, they came in 400 less than AMD

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/02/19 11:36 PM

They quoted me a price for all 8pcs for the Charger. I would need to call them to confirm if the quote included shipping, but if so, they came in 400 less than AMD

Well I answered my own question, per their Facebook page shipping is included.

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/03/19 03:06 AM

I'd go with AMD....Vintage Glass has a bad rap
Posted By: PDR Dude

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/03/19 03:31 AM

I have a Cuda convertible with a drivers door class that's aftermarket Doesn't fit worth a hoot. The curvature is incorrect. It's possible that its hardtop glass also. Fortunately on a convertible, the glass is down the majority of the time. Some of the repoped windshields I've seen are wavy. Ran into a situation recently on a late model car where the aftermarket replacement glass had to be replaced with factory, because the lane departure cameras could not be correctly calibrated. The cameras on that vehicle are attached to the windshield. So just a slight difference in curvature caused an issue. Inspect closely prior to install...

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/03/19 12:32 PM

10-4

Thank you for the heads up.

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/03/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

I'd go with AMD....Vintage Glass has a bad rap

10-4. Thank you fir the heads up!
Posted By: RJS

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/03/19 02:14 PM

My 71 Charger has front and rear windshields from AMD along with the drivers door. Looks very nice and fit was perfect. The color/shading on driver's door is different than my factory glass and it is the un-tinted style. The Chrysler logo's are bigger than factory glass also.
As time goes on I will add the other 3 pieces to my car so all will at least look the same.
I bought through Summit so returns or problems would be easy if needed.
Ron
Posted By: Charger727

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/03/19 02:37 PM

I put a full set of side glass from AMD in my 71 duster. Fit was fine, no serious issues, but I did notice a slight waviness towards the top of the door glass. Definitely not as good as factory, but fine for a driver.
Posted By: Big-Bo-Hemoth

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/03/19 03:07 PM

I just went through this with my '71 charger with tinted glass. I needed windshield and back glass. All of the used stuff had problems: chips, deep scratches, pits etc that I probably could not polish out. A local shop had an extra AMD tinted windshield for an excellent price so I bought it and it fit perfect. So I thought I would try the backlight from AMD/Jegs. First one came in with a 10" diameter hump on drivers side that was about 1/4" high. I could not attach my dual suction cup handle to that side. Pass side was flat so the handles would seat here. You could feel the difference with your hand. Defective glass was returned for exchange. Second one came in with same defect. Sent that one back and Jegs called AMD and they found that all of their stock had the same defect. Now back to search for used again. Glad that shipping was taken care of and they refunded my $. No gripe with Jegs but I wish AMD would have checked before sending X 2.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Aftermarket Glass thoughts - 06/04/19 12:14 AM

My "ACC" glass, or whatever it is, is not very good. I've struggled and had to do a few workarounds to get a decent door seal [hard top]. The windshields are also thinner than AMD.
© 2024 Moparts Forums