Moparts

Leaking Warer Pump Bolt

Posted By: dart4forte

Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/01/19 12:51 AM

Been awhile since I’ve worked on a Small block car with power steering. Problem I have the bolt that retains the adjustment for the power steering. Obviously this bolt goes into the water jacket in the block. What does everyone use to seal this type of bolt?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/01/19 01:33 AM

Indian Head cement in the brown bottle with the shoe polish type brush.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/01/19 02:44 AM

Black rtv!
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/01/19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by moparpollack
Black rtv!

Permatex Aviation Sealer:
I personally stay away from rtv/silicones.
Have found too many "globs" of this stuff in Oil Pickup Screens & flushed some out of radiators.
Oil nor antifreeze doesn't dissolve it, once it breaks loose.

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/15/19 02:14 PM

Still fighting this bolt. Tried the aviation sealer, even used thread sealer. Still leaks a steady drip, drip ,drip. Maybe the bolt is too short not filling all the threads.

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/15/19 04:27 PM

& you might get a new bolt (& check thread length engagement) for a slight bit better thread engagement. & someone who knows this stuff might recommend a bolt with a higher class of thread, there is a % #, not my area but you might Google or utube or call/visit a knowledgeable machinist. EDIT a steady drip on that area means something is seriously amiss, yes check the bolt thread length & worse case you might brake kleen the block threads & semipermanently seal a stud in there then do the looseneing with a nut on the outer end at the pump
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/15/19 09:56 PM

I have used RTV before many times. Just don`t crazy with it. Also check the condition of the bolt , they get corroded pretty bad sometimes and yes, drain the coolant so the sealer gets a chance to dry.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/15/19 09:59 PM

You are draining the water out and using an air blower or something to dry the hole out so the bolt with sealer goes into a dry hole.
Posted By: Belvedere1

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/15/19 10:37 PM

I'm thinking longer or maybe try one with rolled threads??
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/15/19 11:20 PM

Hylomar blue.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/16/19 12:34 AM

Teflon tape works great, you can make it as thick or thin as you need it. It is impervious to oil, coolant, water, whatever. You can install it into a "wet" hole.

Be careful not to get too long a bolt if you go with a new one.

Since I don't have an LA car with power steering I am not sure which one you are referring to but it has been know for some hamfisted goons with too long a bolt to reef down on it and stress the #1 cylinder wall.

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/22/19 01:14 PM

This?

Attached picture 5DE919E4-0E81-4196-BB7F-8FC353F8B2D8.jpeg

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/22/19 01:16 PM

That be it. EDIT It used to be in a slightly different bottle, not sure what changed (if anything) formulawise. MORE EDIT pull the brush halfway out then press it sideways against the inside of the bottle to lose the excess then pull it out.

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/24/19 12:06 AM

Well, turns out it wasn’t the bolt. I totally cleaned off the area of the pump and blew it dry. Added a gallon of water and hit the area with air where it’s leaking. Water immediately started pooling at the base of the bypass hose. Brand new. Tightened up the clamp but only stems the leak for a bit. I’ll pickup another hose tomorrow. Talk about chasing my tail. panic

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/24/19 12:33 AM

I'm glad it is an easy fix

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/24/19 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
I'm glad it is an easy fix

Me too. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/24/19 12:52 PM

That assumes the hose was the problem and not a crack in the fitting/intake.

Ain't I full of pleasant thoughts?

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/24/19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
That assumes the hose was the problem and not a crack in the fitting/intake.

Ain't I full of pleasant thoughts?

Not going to rule that out
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/24/19 03:10 PM

Reminds me of having the "rear main seal" changed, but still had a drip of oil . . . . was the oil sending unit, not tight enough !!! Oil down the side of the block and dripping out the bottom . . . . ughhhh . . .

Re: Leaking Warer Pump Bolt - 06/24/19 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by a12rag
Reminds me of having the "rear main seal" changed, but still had a drip of oil . . . . was the oil sending unit, not tight enough !!! Oil down the side of the block and dripping out the bottom . . . . ughhhh . . .

Oh yeah, had that happen
© 2024 Moparts Forums