Moparts

Electric power brakes

Posted By: dickdale

Electric power brakes - 05/10/19 07:54 AM

Has anybody ever used electric power brake systems?

I have manual brakes on my car and perhaps want to convert to electric power brakes.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Electric power brakes - 05/10/19 11:27 AM

Never heard of such a thing, what application are you looking at?
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Electric power brakes - 05/10/19 11:47 AM

Only electric brakes I am aware of are for trailers. I have never seen any electric system for car brakes. There is hydro boost which runs off power steering pump. Usually for cars with low vacuum or turbo/super charger boosted cars that don't make vacuum. Or standard vacuum power booster. What car do you have?

All automotive brake systems (well, last 80 or so years) are hydraulic. That is,you push on pedal, it actuates a rod, and pushes a piston in the master cylinder. Fluid is then pushed to the wheels where the pressurized fluid pushes on small arms of a drum brake cylinder or actuates larger pistons in the caliper. For vacuum boost (or assist), pressing the pedal actuates a slider valve in a booster drum that uses vacuum to assist pushing on the rod that pushes the piston in the master cylinder. Electric trailer brakes use solenoids to push on the brake shoes. I don't recall seeing electric calipers.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Electric power brakes - 05/10/19 12:56 PM

I had not heard of this as a conversion before. Our hybrid cars use an electric booster type system, in fact the pedal isn't even hooked to anything but a module. However a simple google search reveals the truth. Still I would probably go with a hydraboost system before I would do this.

Electric power brake booster.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Electric power brakes - 05/10/19 01:06 PM

Gen Motors made some cars with vacuum boosted by elec pump on a certain few models back in the eighties or so.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Electric power brakes - 05/10/19 01:58 PM

speedway, as well as others, have had the "electric" booster brake kit for a couple of years now. there is also an "electric" AC pump to keep you "kool" while you mash the brakes. biggrin
beer
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Electric power brakes - 05/10/19 03:47 PM

I have manual brakes on my car
what car/brakes? maybe we can assist in a different direction..
© 2024 Moparts Forums