Moparts

Column shift with Bucket Seats?

Posted By: DusterKid

Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 02:55 AM

I'm working on my 69 barracuda notchback and noticed something strange. When I bought the car it was a auto on the column but had bucket seats in it. I just assumed that the previous owner swapped out the bench for the buckets as he was intending to installed a console shifter. After looking over the fender tag the car was a factory bucket seat car with shifter on the column. How odd/rare is that combo?
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 03:05 AM

Not uncommon at all . In fact, three of the neatest cars I have owned personally were all column shift auto's with bucket seats , and no fold down arm rest (buddy seat). 70 Charger R/T SE Sublime green ,dealer demonstrator,
1970 Challenger R/T , hemi orange, 440 six pack , lots of options , and 1971 GTX ,curious yellow . I was told once that it was a common configuration on dealer demos because it made the interior appear bigger . I don't know if that is true or not .

Greg
Posted By: topside

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 03:15 AM

Had a '68 Charger R/T with column auto, buckets (of course) & buddy seat, and as Lewis says, it doesn't seem to be particularly rare.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 03:30 AM

One of my 4-doors has buckets & column shift.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 03:36 AM

Sold a '69 GTS Dart that was a column automatic bucket car.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 05:04 AM

My '72 Cuda is column shift.
Posted By: vinnyd76

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 05:22 AM

I have a 70 Dart GT with bucket seats and a column shift. I was surprised when the A-Body arrived from Cali on the transport carrier with the combo. I expected a bench seat. The fender tag and build sheet confirmed combo. The restoration shop did not believe a Dart GT existed in 70, but their uncertainty was cleared up with decoding of the fender tag.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 05:58 AM

DusterKid,

Checked your PM's?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 06:01 AM

some cars have bucket seats STANDARD
& once someone ponies up ~$200 for the automatic transmission - sometimes the additional ~$50 for the console isn't in the budget
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 07:20 AM

I don't have any good pics. except of the fender tag, but our '68 GTS convertible has the optional buckets (bench was standard in Dart convertibles) with a column auto.

Attached picture P1010472.JPG
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 08:35 AM

I had a teacher in high school who had a '71 R/T Challenger that was a column shift with buckets. When she got married her husband made her trade it in on a 4 door Nova. bawling
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 02:05 PM

Didn't realize they were so common. I just assumed that if it had buckets it made sense to have a console shifter to take up the space between the seats. Guess I never really paid that much attention to interiors before.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 03:22 PM

I just realized, to the best of my knowledge, the A-bodies never had a buddy seat option with buckets. It was just a B and C-Body option?
Posted By: ct440rod

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 04:01 PM

70 challenger R/T 440 magnum .. column shift bucket seats . .
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 04:41 PM

I remember looking at & driving a 71 Challenger R/T 383 that was for sale in Phoenix back in the mid-80's. It was buckets with column shift auto.

Shoulda bought that car too - it was all original but my business partner insulted the guy with a lowball offer that pissed the guy off.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 05:27 PM

Most C bodies of the 60's/70's that came standard with bucket seats (300,Monaco 500,Sport Fury) had column shift with buddy seat.
ya want console,floor shift? you pony up the moulah to get that.
I had seen 69 GTX/ Coronet R/T (bucket seats standard) without any buddy seat nor console.
Both optional,but correct me if I am wrong.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 06:32 PM

I can tell you how some of them came that way. I bought a 69RR in 72 from a neighbor who ordered it new in 69. He ordered it with bucket seats, auto with console. Salesman goofed up on the order form and it came in as Bucket seat/column auto/no console/no buddy seat. He was mightily PO'd, but they discounted the car $200, which was almost 3 months car payment back then, so he took it. I am sure that more than one salesman screwed up checking off the boxes on the order forms and is possibly why so many of them exist.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By ct440rod
70 challenger R/T 440 magnum .. column shift bucket seats . .

Same here except mine was a 383. up
Looked at a '71 that was loaded, 383, luggage rack, vinyl top,a/c, and buckets w/ auto on the column.

Tim
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/01/19 11:19 PM

In 1969 both the Polara 500 and Monoco 500 came standard with buckets and a center arm rest. The console was a no cost option for both models.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ima..._Polara0009.jpg

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ima..._Polara0008.jpg
Posted By: 6PAX

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/02/19 02:01 AM

The 68 Dart GT I used to own had buckets with a column shift. My 67 GTX has that set-up too except it has a buddy seat.

Attached picture 100_1571 (2).jpg
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/02/19 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By Lee446
I can tell you how some of them came that way. I bought a 69RR in 72 from a neighbor who ordered it new in 69. He ordered it with bucket seats, auto with console. Salesman goofed up on the order form and it came in as Bucket seat/column auto/no console/no buddy seat. He was mightily PO'd, but they discounted the car $200, which was almost 3 months car payment back then, so he took it. I am sure that more than one salesman screwed up checking off the boxes on the order forms and is possibly why so many of them exist.

Could be that's why many of them came that way, but not my GTS. It was a sales bank car. That and being sold new in Detroit are probably why it didn't sell until May 1969 (Aug 1967 SPD).
Posted By: VegasCharger

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/02/19 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
I had a teacher in high school who had a '71 R/T Challenger that was a column shift with buckets. When she got married her husband made her trade it in on a 4 door Nova. bawling

Strange.....usually it's the other way around where wifey tells hubby to sell his toy in exchange for a family vehicle lol.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/03/19 02:39 AM

Many many years ago I had a 70RR that was a pretty stripped down car.
Manual steering & brakes.
Did have an AM radio and vinyl roof though.

Buckets, no console, auto on the column.

My 68 Satellite....... also manual steering and brakes....... is kind of the opposite of buckets and a column auto.

It’s a 4 speed with a bench(383 4bbl).
Posted By: PossessedDuster

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/03/19 02:59 AM

My 71 Duster 340 was bucket seats column shift.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/03/19 04:51 AM

I looked at a 67 Barracuda fastback a few years ago, 273, 3 on the tree with buckets.

Kevin
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/03/19 10:15 PM

I don't think it was all the rare when these cars were new.
The floor shifter, especially with console, cost a bit extra.
Just seem like it today.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/05/19 01:53 AM

My old 1969 GTX convertible was 440 auto.
column shift with the buddy seat interior
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/05/19 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By Twostick
I looked at a 67 Barracuda fastback a few years ago, 273, 3 on the tree with buckets.

Completely different thing. The OP was working with the assumption that a console would be standard with buckets for an auto-tranny car. In most cases, this wasn't the case.

I am not aware of Mopar having console-mounted 3-speeds but it's possible there's a rare example out there. I know Pontiac and Oldsmobile offered it.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Column shift with Bucket Seats? - 03/05/19 04:42 AM

Piling on but my 70 sport fury and my brother's 70 charger rt/se are both column bucket cars
© 2024 Moparts Forums