Moparts

1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi

Posted By: fritzo34

1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/13/19 03:56 AM

Greetings:
I just purchased a 1971 Cuda that is running a 1968 Hemi motor in it. The car has headers that hang too low for my comfort. Could someone let me know what options are available to me? Would it be easier to replace the headers with low-profile ones, or just purchase the newly made stock style exhaust manifolds and go with them. I haven't discussed this issue (yet) with my exhaust shop guy. Just want to see what options are available before I speak with him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/13/19 04:01 AM

I've run both and would choose manifolds over headers for any street car. Headers do offer up some free HP but you don't really need or use that small advantage on the street, oh, and did I mention that headers are a huge PIA? Noisey, tight-fitting/rubbing on everything, added under hood and floor heat, the list goes on. Some guys will disagree but that's my take. .02
Posted By: fritzo34

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/13/19 04:08 AM

The last car I had with Headers, prior to this one, was back in 1980. I never cared too much for them back then. Can anyone recommend a seller / brand of stock style manifolds for the hemi?
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/13/19 04:49 PM

Whos make of headers that are on the Cuda and what modifications are done to the Hemi.I ask this because maybe the headers are a better choice. I run hookers on mine the ones that a few pieces per side. No problems with Headers being to low. I run a Deeper oil pan and it is much lower than the headers. If you run a stock pan put some extra oil in it because if you make a pass likely your oil pump will fill the top of the hemi with oil and very little will be in the pan. Mario out of Detroit has the best prices on factory Manifolds. They are repops but fit OK. Price will be under 1000 dollars.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/14/19 03:46 AM

I have a 71 B body, which is basically the front half is the same as an E body with TTI headers. TTI makes the best fitting, but I'm with Scott, I wish I had went with manifolds. They make the car really hot and it's hard to work on almost anything around the engine among other draw backs.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/14/19 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
I have a 71 B body, which is basically the front half is the same as an E body with TTI headers. TTI makes the best fitting, but I'm with Scott, I wish I had went with manifolds. They make the car really hot and it's hard to work on almost anything around the engine among other draw backs.

Every Mopar car that I have worked on, Hemi, BB or SB with stock exhaust manifolds took a lot longer to cool down than the same car with headers twocents scope work
The headers with the Jet Hot type coatings are way better to work on at the track than those without the coating or worst yet with stock exhaust manifolds scope shruggy
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/14/19 03:31 PM

My headers are ceramic coated and still make the car hot. A race car and a street car are two different things. I guess it depends on what the car is used for.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/14/19 04:23 PM

Also,you can have exhaust manifolds ceramic coated as well if that appeals to you.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: 1971 Cuda Exhaust Manifold / Header question for Hemi - 02/14/19 05:13 PM

I have to say, the TTI headers that I put on my Hemi were the only ones of the many sets of headers, through the years, that I have put on, that required absolutely no modifications, no dings or even scratches. Twice a year, I check all bolts, zero issues in 7 years. I never really noticed any particular heat issues either, but, living in Texas made A/C mandatory, and I used one of the foil backed butyl rubber sound deadeners on the floorboards which did not hurt. Just my experience.
© 2024 Moparts Forums