Moparts

LX Shifter - can't get out of park

Posted By: a12rag

LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 12:45 AM

Guess this is a common problem with the 2005 and up automatic shifters . . . thanks to a very small plastic piece that breaks off ! The actual replacement part can be had, made out of aluminum instead of plastic (yay!!) . . . anyhow, had this happen to my 06 Magnum yesterday - luckily it was parked in the garage ! So I went to NAPA and got the part, and 1.5hr later car was moving again !! . . . here is youtube showing whats involved !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cd6Ocitj3k

Easy fix, just takes time to get to the part !!

Anyhow, for those with an automatic LX platform car . . .something to keep in mind !!!

Stay warm out there !

Cheers

Mark
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 02:26 AM

Known problem..
OE part made out of nylon and breaks easily, back in 2005 Chrysler had a soft recall for it. Now a replacement part machined out of aluminum, made by Dorman #924-706..

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: DUFFMAN

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By Sinitro
Known problem..
OE part made out of nylon and breaks easily, back in 2005 Chrysler had a soft recall for it. Now a replacement part machined out of aluminum, made by Dorman #924-706..

Just my $0.02... wink

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-706-Ch...=dorman+924-706

Not machined out of aluminum but cast from Zamak, otherwise known as "pot metal". The billet aluminum versions were made by Billet Technologies, were much more expensive, and have been discontinued.

The quality of the Dorman piece is fine. I have one installed in my 2007 Mugnum SRT8 and it works great.
Posted By: Devil

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 07:59 AM

Something to look forward too on my 2009 Challenger with 200,000 miles on it.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 12:14 PM

What's kinda funny is it's known a a "pink thingy". laugh2

Do a google search for dodge charger pink thingy and the issue and the replacement part is what comes up.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...i71.g20WI4XWwzA
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 03:07 PM

I work with plastics- Injection molding and its amazing the difference in quality between lets say a name brand nylon- Zytel (expensive) and all the off brand supposed equivalents.(less expensive)
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By Devil
Something to look forward too on my 2009 Challenger with 200,000 miles on it.

Not applicable to '08 and later.
Posted By: duster2

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 09:16 PM

Would this apply to a 2007 Jeep Patriot , my grand-daughter has this problem ?? She has a floor mounted shifter.

Frank
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/02/19 11:07 PM

Quote:
Would this apply to a 2007 Jeep Patriot , my grand-daughter has this problem ?? She has a floor mounted shifter.

Frank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tMzEJYqu4I
Posted By: MoparPosterChild

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/03/19 06:48 AM

Been there done that with this situation. You can pop off the plastic over surrounding the shifter and use an ink pen to engage the button to get it out of park. I got the replacement part and installed it myself. Pretty easy but inconvenient.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/03/19 05:54 PM

Very common failure. I am sure the LX forums are all over this. Happened to me with a 07 Magnum R/T. I don't know if the replacement part it better but no failure with it so far.

I think somebody actually makes a billet replacement for the part that fails.

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/03/19 09:41 PM

The Napa brand part that I got, is aluminum . . . the dorman part is also a metal part. Pretty sure that the spring won't have enough strength to break the metal versus the original plastic . . . here is the OE pink plastic piece - the white spot is where the little hook piece broke off - this holds the one end of the spring . . . no spring, no movement !! . . . hence replacing with metal version as upgrade !!

Gotta admit I was lucky to have happen while parked in the garage at home !! . . .

Attached picture Magnum shifter interlock.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/03/19 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By MoparPosterChild
Been there done that with this situation. You can pop off the plastic over surrounding the shifter and use an ink pen to engage the button to get it out of park. I got the replacement part and installed it myself. Pretty easy but inconvenient.

Yep, right in the owner's manual.

Attached picture Park Override.jpg

Re: LX Shifter - can't get out of park - 02/04/19 02:55 AM

Thats only for a problem with the brake interlock . . . the "pen" solution, you have to remove the chrome trim piece around the shifter, then you can look down at the top in front of the shifter - see the cable for the shift interlock, and then put the pen down there and move the cable towards the drivers door. . . . but that is not a permanent fix . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMirgS7tDs
© 2024 Moparts Forums