Moparts

need help with a sure - grip rebuild

Posted By: G code Jockey

need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/26/19 10:06 PM

for a winter project i picked up an 8 3/4 clutch type sure grip unit off of craigslist. given the unknown origin i wanted to give it a complete rebuild. when i got it apart the clutches and plates had HEAVY galling. However all the other parts looked good. a trip the the parts washer confirmed that there was only very light rust spots on a few places from sitting. so i knocked the rust off with a wire wheel and got a mopar performance clutch kit. now i have begun the rebuild process, making sure that the plates went in in the correct orientation. i saw a tip that said to put an axle in each side to make sure the 2 sets of spline line up for assembly. i did this then hand tightened to 2 halves together and recheck. the axles wouldn't seat fully. so i loosen the case halves and put the axles back in through both splined parts on each side. i stand the whole assembly up-right. i can then lift and lower the sure grip to make sure everything is seated and not binding. i then tighten the case halves together. now both axles are locked solid into the sure grip unit. so now i split the difference. i loosen all the bolts and start tightening in quarter turns each round, making sure the axles move. now they are stuck and the case isn't near closed. i did center punch both halves and they are lined up. anybody have any ideas?
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/27/19 04:41 AM

hi g, try to keep each axle shaft "fixed" and wiggle the sure grip in a circle to unbind and center the clutches. think of a kids jump rope. both ends are fixed and you make the rope circle around in the middle. hold one shaft on the ground, step on it with 1 foot. hold the top shaft, and then roll the sure grip in a circle. tighten the case bolts a little, roll the case, repeat until case bolts are tight, but shafts will not bind.ronnie drive
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/27/19 06:47 PM

Smack the side of both axle shafts with a mini sledge hammer. This will shock the side gear splines and clutch hub splines into alignment.

A light hammer will not work.
Posted By: moparx

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/27/19 07:24 PM

can a pair of axle "stubs" [from a pair of junk axles] be substituted for the whole axle ? if so, how long should they be for optimum [use] results ?
beer
Posted By: G code Jockey

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/27/19 08:51 PM

thanks all for the help. and thank you dr diff for the tip. i had to modify the technique as i dont have a sledge hammer. have a 24 oz. ball peen. i tightened bolts until axles were stuck, then knocked them out with the hammer then reinstert. repeated until bolts were snugged. i also learned my torque wrench doesnt torque lefty threads so i had to use calibrated elbow and blue lock tite. now one axle goes in but there other is giving me trouble. when i assemble the complete axle i will have to use a prybar between the studs and tap with a hammer until it seats. fun times ahead.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/27/19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
can a pair of axle "stubs" [from a pair of junk axles] be substituted for the whole axle ? if so, how long should they be for optimum [use] results ?
beer

Yes, here's a pair I made for testing Sure-Grip clutch slip and they also act to align the splines...about 8 inches long.

Attached picture SG Tools.JPG
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/28/19 01:13 AM

Does any one still make the side gears that had the outer gear with the full spline? Stronger and less hassle with assembly. Back in 75 that is what I ran in my Stock Eliminator car until the case spread and broke the gears at Fall Nationals in Seattle the local dealers didn't have anything but the 2 piece. I put them in and found out my Mark Williams axles didn't engage the inner gear enough. It stripped the axle spline, cost me the race. When I got home I built a new sure grip grade 8 bolts all the way through and the long spline outer gear. Never broke another sure grip. ring and pinion was another story.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/28/19 01:29 AM

Doc Diff offers the one-piece side gears.

http://www.doctordiff.com/powr-lok-internal-parts-kit.html
Posted By: moparx

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/28/19 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Originally Posted By moparx
beer

Yes, here's a pair I made for testing Sure-Grip clutch slip and they also act to align the splines...about 8 inches long.

thanks john. that was kind of like what i had in mind, a hex or flat milled on the end[s] for a wrench or socket. up
beer
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: need help with a sure - grip rebuild - 01/29/19 08:22 PM

Is it possible the splines on the axles you're us are very slightly twisted? Just a thought.
© 2024 Moparts Forums