Moparts

fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best?

Posted By: wedgeheaded

fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/21/19 03:53 PM

I'm wanting to put a 6 pack scoop on my 92 CTD but not sure which way to go. Any pros or cons to using one over the other?
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/21/19 05:13 PM

Fiberglass is a lot stiffer & more brittle vs. ABS. It's tougher to get adhesion to the hood with ABS. So, if you want the scoop "blended" onto the hood, then go fiberglass. If you just want to pop-rivet it to the hood, then go with ABS.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/21/19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
Fiberglass is a lot stiffer & more brittle vs. ABS. It's tougher to get adhesion to the hood with ABS. So, if you want the scoop "blended" onto the hood, then go fiberglass. If you just want to pop-rivet it to the hood, then go with ABS.

I agree, plus fiberglass can be repaired and is stronger.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/21/19 06:55 PM

Fiberglass all the way. More durable. You don't see watercraft/boats made from ABS.

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/22/19 04:15 PM

Great! I appreciate the input. Fiberglass it is.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/22/19 07:29 PM

ABS is more flexible, so will hold a hit better so harder to get broken. Also lighter. More affected by the heat with time getting chalky.

Fiberglass is easier to get a crack... usually easy to fix thought. More durable to the heat
Posted By: Stanton

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/23/19 12:21 AM

Scoops were only made out of ABS because the process is so damn cheap. But in reality they're useless for anything other than an all-out race car. You could vacuum form a couple hundred ABS scoops in the time it takes to make one 'glass scoop - REALLY !! If ABS was any good, the factory would have made A12 hoods with it instead of 'glass !!!

And this is totally false:
Quote:
Fiberglass is easier to get a crack
Posted By: jcc

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/23/19 02:00 AM

I think the real unknown here, there are thousands of formulations of "plastics" including ABS, and ABS here is likely a generic term makes for a good sales pitch, and they all have varying properties, where FG has maybe 8? variation. It certainly can bre very robust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

From a counting pennies manufacturer perspective, small runs might be cheaper out of FG, and large runs out of ABS.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/23/19 11:59 AM

I like the ease or repair of fiberglass. ABS can be repaired but its almost an art as opposed to fiberglass. I repaired/rebuilt an old impossible to replace bezel on for an old motorcycle and it came out perfect- but was quite more involved than if it had been FG.

Re: fiberglass vs abs hood scoop, which is best? - 01/24/19 03:15 AM

I ordered the one from Summit Racing. $116 inc tax, free shipping. I'm sure I'll have to "adjust" some stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums