Moparts

Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted?

Posted By: challenger70

Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted? - 01/17/19 09:38 PM

Was the drivers (left) side welded on like the passenger side for factory dual exhaust cars or was it mounted with a plate with bolts like described below? October '69 LA built Challenger if that matters.

"(this E Body bracket has an upper piece that mounts behind the rear seat and has four studs to attach and a lower piece that mounts to the underneath of the floor pan, and mounts to the upper bracket with the four studs. Correct cadmium finish. To be used with our resonator hanger # EX-4335"

Attached picture Exhaust Hanger Bracket.jpg
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted? - 01/17/19 09:46 PM

Screws to hold top plate to floor so the nuts can be put on from underneath.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted? - 01/17/19 09:54 PM

The drives side is a two piece bracket bolted to the floor. There should be dimples in the floor pan where the holes need to be drilled. One half of the bracket is installed on the interior...behind the back seat.

My assumption is that the PS was welded because all Challengers needed that bracket. Single exhaust cars had the exhaust on the PS. Only dual exhaust cars needed a bracket on the DS so it was added later on.

Re: Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted? - 01/17/19 10:23 PM

Good to know, thanks guys! I had bought a weld on one figuring it was the same as the passenger side then I saw a bracket thingie on the driver side in my newly acquired David Wise manuals and was like what is this??!
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted? - 01/17/19 11:56 PM

Not all manuals are created equal or have correct information. You did the correct thing to ask on here were there is a ton of information for you to acquire from members.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted? - 01/18/19 12:43 AM

Well said.

There are some books I will never buy.

Re: Left side muffler bracket -'70 Challenger Welded or bolted? - 01/18/19 04:04 PM

Are there known issues with these manuals? To be clear it did help me identify the correct mounting for the exhaust. They are pricey, but I figured the amout of time I spend trying to figure out the correct hardware and what not they would pay off over time.

Thanks for the help everyone!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums