Moparts

Friction modifer for cone sure-grip?

Posted By: 69_Swinger

Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/16/19 07:34 PM

I recently acquired a 7-1/4" rearend for my son's /6 Valiant that has a "cone" type sure-grip. I'm familiar with the "clutch" suregrips, and understand that the friction modifier is required for the clutches to work properly. is this also true for the "cone" type? I haven't had one of these apart before. Thanks!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/16/19 08:00 PM

Yes, same additive required for the cone-type.
Posted By: 69_Swinger

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/16/19 08:15 PM

Great. Thanks John!
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/18/19 01:40 AM

I believe "Ford" brand is recommended by several people I've seen & some parts stores carry it (Ford dealers too obviously)
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/18/19 01:47 AM

OK guyz .... other than draining out and filtering old SKUNK OIL out of a junk yard car - WHICH I HAVE DONE some years ago - is the only GOOD and reliable additive is from Generous Motors?
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/18/19 01:56 AM

Doc, that is what I run in my Dana and it calmed done and runs quiet!
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/18/19 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By hemirdrnnr
Doc, that is what I run in my Dana and it calmed done and runs quiet!

OLD drained and filtered SKUNK OIL ? ... Santa4
Posted By: rhad

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/18/19 06:45 AM

someone told me years ago that there was only one manufacturer of the stuff and company's had their own packaging for it
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/19/19 12:23 AM

Yea skunk oil, I think I am going to try the new Mary-J oil I hear it is better for higher gears.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/19/19 12:51 AM

Whale oil, not skunk oil. Used to come from whales.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/19/19 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Whale oil, not skunk oil. Used to come from whales.

Yep....and contrary to a sometimes seen myth, it wasn't whale Sperm!!! It came from Sperm Whales!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/21/19 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
I believe "Ford" brand is recommended by several people I've seen & some parts stores carry it (Ford dealers too obviously)
thats what I heard too. dont have a part #.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/29/19 07:46 PM

Probably made by K-W.

R.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/29/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By Doc Fiberglass
OK guyz .... other than draining out and filtering old SKUNK OIL out of a junk yard car - WHICH I HAVE DONE some years ago - is the only GOOD and reliable additive is from Generous Motors?

Yup..Delco part # 992694.
I use it in all my Sure grips.
But still does not make it a "posi" LOL!!

I put it in first then the gear oil and run the car on the hoist (or jack stands) at idle for ten minutes.
This ensures the conditioner goes through all the clutches.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/30/19 03:47 PM

Dr. Diff sells the Ford friction modifier product.

- EM
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/30/19 05:04 PM

I'm wondering why If Mopar gets its own, nobody mentions the Mopar one... price is the same shruggy

https://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-li...318060ac-m.html

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-4318060AC-Limited-Additive/dp/B000TTEX8W

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=+4318060AC&_sacat=0&_sop=15

This is the cheaper one, and is free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Dodge-Limi...brQqm:rk:1:pf:1

any Mopar dealer around should still get it though

EDITING... even cheaper buying two, and free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-DODGE-LIMI...5.c100005.m1851
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/31/19 01:39 AM

I do not believe that Fiat-Chrysler or GM or Ford manufacture their own. They are probably all made by the same chemical company like CRC, which uses K&W as a brand name for their friction modifier for limited slip differentials.

Most of the parts in an automobile are made by suppliers. I see no reason to believe that the goop that they sell is made by the "car manufacturers" either. MAYBE it is made to their specification by a supplier. And maybe the supplier gets their specification and comes back with a bid, but says "if we could substitute this we could save you 17%" and so what you buy in a Mopar or Motorcraft or Delco can is actually the same stuff.

R.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/31/19 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By dogdays
I do not believe that Fiat-Chrysler or GM or Ford manufacture their own. They are probably all made by the same chemical company like CRC, which uses K&W as a brand name for their friction modifier for limited slip differentials.

Most of the parts in an automobile are made by suppliers. I see no reason to believe that the goop that they sell is made by the "car manufacturers" either. MAYBE it is made to their specification by a supplier. And maybe the supplier gets their specification and comes back with a bid, but says "if we could substitute this we could save you 17%" and so what you buy in a Mopar or Motorcraft or Delco can is actually the same stuff.

R.

Always some exceptions, but generally, this sums it up.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/31/19 03:33 AM

yeah, that's exactly why I ask... there is not a reason to suggest any brand being same product, but really unmatches in my mind on a Mopar board somebody advising to buy any other diff from Mopar ( GM or Ford ) labeled product just by default being same price rate and same product itself LOL. It makes me a brain short circuit LOL. To each own, but is weird at least
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/31/19 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By dogdays

R.

I can assure you this is the case after 34 years in the chemical business. NONE of the auto mfg's make ANY chemical products anymore! They are private labeled. However, this was not always the case in the 1960's. Mopar did mfg own their own chemical operations in Trenton MI.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 01/31/19 04:42 AM

Mopar clutch sure-grips were made by Spicer. Spicer friction modifier is also branded as MotorCraft XL-3, which costs less and is easier to find locally. Therefore I recommend Ford.

Mopar friction modifier may also be the same, but I don't know for sure.
Posted By: STROKIE

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 02/01/19 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By 69_Swinger
I recently acquired a 7-1/4" rearend for my son's /6 Valiant that has a "cone" type sure-grip. I'm familiar with the "clutch" suregrips, and understand that the friction modifier is required for the clutches to work properly. is this also true for the "cone" type? I haven't had one of these apart before. Thanks!

May be i'm the only one, I use Red line 75W90NS GL-5 GEAR OIL
https://www.redlineoil.com/75w90-ns-gl-5-gear-oil
and https://www.redlineoil.com/limited-slip-friction-modifier
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 02/07/19 05:45 AM

I used the Trans-X (made by CRC) stuff (along with 85w140 dyno oil) in my last SG re-build. Rear is quiet, no clutch chatter of any sorts.

I stayed away from synthetic gear oil, the general concensus being that this is not the best way to go with the clutch-style SG setups.

Description: Trans-X CRC SG Additive Sheet
Attached File
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Friction modifer for cone sure-grip? - 02/07/19 06:21 PM

Any difference on recommendation for the cone type lubes and modifiers?

Thanks, Joe
© 2024 Moparts Forums