Moparts

What's up with that gap?

Posted By: Garry Owen

What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 05:45 AM

So all I've ever messed with is small blocks. Noticed this the other day and haven't found anything on why it's that way. Car seems to run just fine so is it bad or...

Attached picture 20190115_213751.jpg
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 06:25 AM

Normal. I’m not exactly why the heat crossover is designed that way. But don’t worry about it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 06:35 AM

I would say that it is to dissipate heat.
Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 06:56 PM

Its part of the heat crossover to warm the plenum on a factory intake. Most aftermarket intakes do not have the corresponding upper passageway, or have no passageway at all. Some intake gaskets will cover it completely.

I've run my junk like yours is setup with no problems. That exposed passage will attract crud, but that's about it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 07:34 PM

All the OEM iron BB heads except the Max wedge heads have that feature built into them to help reduce the heat from the cross over passage from the passenger side of the motor forced to the drivers side with stock exhaust manifolds to help heat up the intake manifolds shruggy
I don't think Mopar or any other of the car makers have that feature on any other motor confused
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 07:55 PM

You're all wrong, it's the equivalent of Limbo for small items you accidently drop.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 08:18 PM

John you're the man (as always!).
Posted By: moparx

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/16/19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
You're all wrong, it's the equivalent of Limbo for small items you accidently drop.

it is as the factory intended. a place for small items you desperately need to be stored [in a safe place], or to make you think you dropped down the carb port, forcing you to tear down the top end, only to find nothing ! laugh2
beer
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/17/19 01:21 AM

By the way, your small blocks were that way, too...
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/17/19 01:21 AM

Carburetor linkage retainers/clips for example

( don't ask me how I know it )
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/17/19 02:47 AM

It's also where you store 1970's grit and goo.
Posted By: wingman

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/17/19 03:00 AM

Old timer told me that's where he always shoved his cigarette butts.
Posted By: Garry Owen

Re: What's up with that gap? - 01/17/19 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk
By the way, your small blocks were that way, too...

Never really noticed. Intake always covered it I guess. I wanna say thanks Jim, went back a looked at the picture and seen I have a carb leak. Great...
© 2024 Moparts Forums