Moparts

Reverse lights

Posted By: Garry Owen

Reverse lights - 01/14/19 02:02 AM

So I picked up a car not long ago and it has some small things to iron out. One is the reverse lights or lack of. It’s a console automatic 68 roadrunner. I’ve seen pictures of a reverse switch mounted to the shifter or a nss, not sure. Anyhow I’m looking to hook up a switch to a key on power supply with either the switch mentioned or maybe fabricate a mount and use a switch like a 4 speed would have.

Any opinions or am I out in left field?

Attached picture 3B23504E-BC63-44FF-AB29-85FA44490C93.jpeg
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 02:53 AM

68 roadrunner was never available with a console from the factory. So you may be missing all the wiring for the switch. Check it out completely.

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 02:55 AM

Have a part number for the switch? I’ve been googling it but have found it

May have found it. 150 bucks...yikes
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 03:49 AM

You could always convert it to 69 and later nuet switch, all in one 3 prong trans switch. Did that on a 68 coronet and with service manual help, it was a very clean swap.

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 04:26 AM

True. I’m going to look at a wiring diagram and see if I can decode.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 04:35 AM

Quote:
You could always convert it to 69 and later nuet switch, all in one 3 prong trans switch.
that's what I would do (& thru a fuse for protection)

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 04:49 AM

How do you wire the 3 prong switch back into a 68 harness?

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 05:18 AM

Kind of generic but I would run fused 12V down to one of the "outer" pins on the trans "3 pin terminal" connector on the side of the trans & run the other "outer" pin back up front to the reverse light terminal in the bulkhead. OR T into the backup light wire somewhere "convenient" along its front to rear stretch.

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 05:24 AM

The terminal is 2nd down on left looking at the bulkhead from under the hood?

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 05:26 AM

I ain't sure from memory, I would check the diagram at www.mymopar.com
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 10:16 AM

Put this info on a pic off the net a while back.

Attached picture fire wall 7 bulkhead   super bird   backup indicater wiring a.png

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By thehemikid
Put this info on a pic off the net a while back.

You made my day until I went out and looked at the inside bulkhead. Nothing corresponds to the other side. That's ok, I'll just have to hunt down the wire from the rear and tap into it.

Attached picture 20190114_094247.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 06:24 PM

i "think" the rooster comb on the valvebody is different for the 66-68, preventing you from using the 69 up NSS.
JK or mr. cope would be able to clear that up for sure.
beer

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 07:59 PM

Just got under the car and there’s a 3 pin plug already there. The motor is a early 70’s cast number so the trans may be also. I chased the wire back behind the kick panel from the rear and the violet wire is still in the block so that’s probably where I’ll tap in and like Robert said to run into a fused 12v.

Re: Reverse lights - 01/14/19 10:25 PM

& confirrm the 2 outer pins have no continuity (to each other nor to ground, the trans case) in all positions other than reverse & that they are connected/have continuity (to each other) in reverse.
© 2024 Moparts Forums