Moparts

Harmonic Damper Puller Tool

Posted By: sendero

Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 12/31/18 06:55 PM

I have gone through a few harmonic damper pullers now and am increasingly frustrated. The first set bent ( not surprised - Chinese). Second set was Sears professional brand.. but it did not have the 5/16-24 TPI bolts. Shopping for bolts, I could only find grade 5. NAPA did not have them either. ARP offers in Grade8 + but they are now on backorder.

Is there a Harmonic balancer puller /installer kit available on the web with grade 8 5/16-24 bolts of at least 2 inches long ?
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 12/31/18 07:41 PM

Look for a local Fastenall store. They will have the bolts you are looking for.
Posted By: Fab64

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 12/31/18 07:52 PM

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but both Auto Zone and O'Reilly's have a free tool loan program (they charge your credit card when you pick up the tool, then delete the charge when you return it). I borrowed one of their pullers to get the balancer off my 440. Good luck.

Roger
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 12/31/18 09:47 PM

& be sure to have/use the piece on the end of the big center bolt so you dont messup the crank snout threads
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 12/31/18 09:48 PM

Fab 64,that is what we do when we only use tools once over a couple of years. My Pullers are Snap On or Mac. I did the borrow a puller today. Changing a Belt Pump Tensioner on a Neon today and the Puller I use and like is at the Dealership so Local Parts Store I borrowed one of theirs.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 12/31/18 10:03 PM

You can order grade 8 bolts from McMaster Carr if you don't have a local bolt shop. Most cities have some sort of industrial bolt shop though or go to a tractor supply place if you live in a rural area.
Posted By: sendero

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 12/31/18 10:39 PM

Thanks, I did call Fastenal. They do not sell per piece. One has to buy in bulk. I called one industrial shop and no luck either...but they will special order. Grrrr.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 01/01/19 12:51 AM

Those bolts can be found individually in any "Hardware" store.
I've had a cheap puller in the garage for decades.
Never a problem except for the mistake mentioned by R.R.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 01/01/19 12:55 AM

Not sure why you think you need grade 8 bolts. Been using grade 5 for decades with zero issues.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 01/01/19 01:06 AM

I do not need one often, so I just use my steering wheel puller.

Back the bolt out about 1/2 way for the puller shaft foot to rest on & it works just fine for me.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 01/01/19 02:51 AM

What Fab said, o'reillys has a loaner program. Make sure you keep the bolts "squared" not tilted. I had a cheapie once & the dampener was so tight that it even stripped the chinese big center bolt!
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 01/01/19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By bboogieart
Those bolts can be found individually in any "Hardware" store.
I've had a cheap puller in the garage for decades.
Never a problem except for the mistake mentioned by R.R.

Ditto here too.
I use one cheap puller for just about everything and if none of the bolts it came with work for what I'm doing I buy the ones I need and they get added to the ziplock bag the puller lives in.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 01/01/19 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By sendero
Thanks, I did call Fastenal. They do not sell per piece. One has to buy in bulk. I called one industrial shop and no luck either...but they will special order. Grrrr.

If its close, just go there. I go in and buy onesy twosy all the time.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Harmonic Damper Puller Tool - 01/02/19 12:14 AM

Also keep in mind when installing a new to your crank damper not to have it too tight!It should slide on without much effort.
© 2024 Moparts Forums