Moparts

Cracked Head? 440

Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 02:14 AM

So, I've got the valve covers off (440) & just adjusted the valve lash. I notice that there is some coolant "weeping" out of the rear/lower valve cover bolt hole on the passenger side. Is that a cracked head?

I'm "hoping" those threads just run really, really close to the head cooling jacket & I tapped too deep cleaning up the threads.....but I'm just "hoping".
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 02:23 AM

Original cast iron heads are well known for cracking. Not a big surprise, they are 50 years old and have had lots of heat cycles by now. If it is a very small crack you might be able to seal it up with a stop leak type of product.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 03:30 AM

If I'm not mistaken the lower end holes go into the water jacket that's why Ma Mopar put studs in the holes
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 03:32 AM

The valve cover bolt holes don't (normally), at least on any iron big block head I've ever had. confused Only the exhaust port holes...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 03:44 AM

It's not unknown for valve cover boltholes to hit water. Not supposed to but stuff happens.
Posted By: BlwnCrcab

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 04:54 AM

I had on with a broken vc bolt
when I drilled it out went too far hit water
didn't leak w bolt or stud in it
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 06:59 AM

If it is leaking fix it now, it won't fix itself work whistling grin
You might want to use some two part epoxy, JB weld or?, on a stud for that hole, drain the radiator first and clean that hole out thoroughly first though before starting to patch it up up twocents
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 12/24/18 05:40 PM

Thanks everyone. I could not see any visible cracks & the engine has been running strong. I put some RTV silicone in that hole before screwing in the valve cover bolt....we'll see. No sign of antifreeze in the oil.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Cracked Head? 440 - 01/03/19 07:26 PM

I had a 906 head that one of the bottom corner valve cover bolts went into a water jacket. A little sealer on that bolt and no problems.
© 2024 Moparts Forums