Moparts

Rust

Posted By: 71birdJ68

Rust - 12/15/18 12:34 AM

I'm noticing some rust on the bottom of my Neon, nothing serious, I just would like to nip it in the bud. I was thinking of some rust converter and then brush on some Rustoleum. What do you all think is a good converter? Evaporust, or some other brand.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Rust - 12/15/18 12:47 AM

I would grind/sand/cut until you have actual clean metal. THEN rust proof and paint. Body rot is always worse than you think it is. work

My '93 BMW had about a 2" area of "not too serious" rust visible underneath, at the driver's outer footwell body plug. By the time I finished removing rust, here is the result...

Attached picture DSCF0003a.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Rust - 12/15/18 12:47 AM

Ospho available at Ace hardware
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Rust - 12/15/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By stumpy
Ospho available at Ace hardware
iagree up
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Rust - 12/15/18 05:10 PM

If it is surface rust, you can treat it.
It will return.
Thing is, rust rarely is only skin deep.
If it is inside the panels, there really is nothing you can do besides replace the sheet metal.

It's simply part of the plan to sell more cars.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Rust - 12/15/18 06:51 PM

I can't knok my Neon much, it was built in 94 and has 498,000 miles on it.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rust - 12/15/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
I can't knok my Neon much, it was built in 94 and has 498,000 miles on it.

i would file that car under the lemon law with your dealer ! flame stirthepot laugh2
beer
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: Rust - 12/16/18 01:28 AM

Remove the loose stuff and spray bomb with VHT. Top coat with a wax-oil type product and touch up as needed.

"rust converters" are a myth IMO. It does look nice until a year later and you notice the cancer has erupted right back and gained more territory.

The cars that are all slimy and nasty underneath whether intentional or from a leaking engine tend to be less rusty and easier to work on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums