Moparts

Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door

Posted By: NHCharger

Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/14/18 04:46 AM

Asking for a buddy that has a GTX. Says the upper section of his rear seat does not seem to fit well. He's thinking that the rear seats aren't original. Is there a difference in rear seats between the 2 door and 4 door models?
Posted By: Dante

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/14/18 02:41 PM

Top of the seat is the same, bottom is different
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/14/18 06:08 PM

are the package tray hooks doinked up in any way ? what exactly "doesn't fit" mean ? seat frame ok ? just asking for a little clarification.
beer
Posted By: topside

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/14/18 07:31 PM

Working from a 30-year-old memory of a '67 GTX I had: the GTX rear seatback has a depression in the center for the decorative package tray thing, doesn't it? 4-doors & regular Belvederes don't have that.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/14/18 07:32 PM

What's the year of GTX. 1967 GTX and Satellite is a unique rear seat.
Posted By: VegasCharger

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/15/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By Dante

I beg to differ. Let me share you my experience that I had and witnessed in person

I parted out a 1968 Dodge Coronet 4 door. And yes everybody(most) knows that the bottom seat is different than a 2 door version, they're more rounded off at the corners. As for the upper seat, I've asked online the same question about it being the same for a 4 door & 2 door. I never got a clear cut answer, just people speculating that they would be the same. So the opportunity arrived for me to find out myself on my own.

I took the upper rear seat from the '68 4 door over to my '68 Charger to see if it would fit. It did not. The bottom loops that catch the tabs surpassed them quite a bit going towards the floor board. So it dawned on me like other interior related parts, that 4 door stuff is taller and/or longer. A-pillars, windshields, wing windows, windshield trim and now rear upper seats.

So from my personal experience the answer is NO that the rear seats from a 4 door (both upper & lower) are not suited for a 2 door version.

beer
Posted By: NHCharger

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/15/18 03:19 AM

It's a 70 GTX. He said the loops on the bottom do not reach over the tabs.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/15/18 03:26 AM

Can you ask him for a center to center dimension on his GTX rear tabs?

I'll walk out to the shop now & measure the 1970 4-door tabs.........

Edit - 53 1/2" center to center.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/15/18 04:26 AM

Has he put any extra sound leading material anywhere? I put extra on my floor, so the frame didn't down as far as it did new.
Posted By: 70X

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/15/18 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By VegasCharger
Originally Posted By Dante

I beg to differ. Let me share you my experience that I had and witnessed in person

I parted out a 1968 Dodge Coronet 4 door. And yes everybody(most) knows that the bottom seat is different than a 2 door version, they're more rounded off at the corners. As for the upper seat, I've asked online the same question about it being the same for a 4 door & 2 door. I never got a clear cut answer, just people speculating that they would be the same. So the opportunity arrived for me to find out myself on my own.

I took the upper rear seat from the '68 4 door over to my '68 Charger to see if it would fit. It did not. The bottom loops that catch the tabs surpassed them quite a bit going towards the floor board. So it dawned on me like other interior related parts, that 4 door stuff is taller and/or longer. A-pillars, windshields, wing windows, windshield trim and now rear upper seats.

So from my personal experience the answer is NO that the rear seats from a 4 door (both upper & lower) are not suited for a 2 door version.

beer

Charger rears are different from other 2 door 68 - 70 B Bodies
Posted By: VegasCharger

Re: Rear seat difference- 2 door versus 4 door - 12/19/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By 70X

Charger rears are different from other 2 door 68 - 70 B Bodies

Okay thanks! Good to know.

So I'm still uncertain if a 4 door rear upper seat will work on a 1968-70 B Body 2 door non Charger, non convertible.

beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums