Moparts

Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer

Posted By: cudabitten

Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/13/09 04:35 PM

Hey, anyone use anything other than the seam sealers available from local auto stores? Like chaulk from Home Depot?
Posted By: BADDART

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/13/09 06:12 PM

I used DAP tub/tile to seal my wheel tubs after installation.Primed first,applied caulk and let dry.Then painted color coat.Has lasted ten plus years. Chris
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/13/09 06:24 PM

The 3-M fast and firm is not so good it cracks when it dries out and srinks plenty.
Next car will get the 2 part Fusor{sp?} Little extra cash is worth it to have good supplies
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/13/09 07:17 PM

i have used many times exterior household sealer.

Once metal work is done and primered prior to paint.

Apply it first with silicone gun gun and follow up with a paint brush.

I soak the paint brush whiskers in thinner prior to spreading the seam sealer.( it spreads easier)

Once painted it looks very close to OEM,

Ive done this method several times for the last 10 years and never as one cracked.

Not to mention some of these cars are stored in unheated garages .
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/14/09 01:49 PM

Vulkem. It's a polyurethane sealer that comes in standard size (11 oz?) caulk tubes for around $5.00 at my local lumber yard. Sticks to anything as long as it's clean and lasts indefinately. Just make sure you put everything where you want it 'cuz it DOES NOT come off.
Posted By: MoparJoe

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/15/09 02:56 PM

Caulk probably wouldn't the best thing since most are latex or silicone but I have had good luck with a 3M polyurethane sealer for roofs/gutters that is paintable and dries flexible, I think it was around $8 a tube at home depot.

When it dries it's about the same firmness as 3M seam sealer but is black in color instead of tan/beige.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/15/09 03:02 PM

Butyl rubber caulk sold as gutter seal works well if you have time to let it set. It takes several days to skin over so you can paint it. Polyurethane roof sealer is faster as posted above. The "seam seal" from the parts stores - at least autozone - is junk. It shrinks and cracks.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/15/09 03:18 PM

Liquid nails work well. run a bead then take your finger and smooth it out some (use rubber gloves) Let it dry and you can paint it. I've also sanded it, but it's much harder than bondo when it dries. Make sure you get the kind for metal.
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/15/09 05:06 PM

Quote:

Caulk probably wouldn't the best thing since most are latex or silicone but I have had good luck with a 3M polyurethane sealer for roofs/gutters that is paintable and dries flexible, I think it was around $8 a tube at home depot.

When it dries it's about the same firmness as 3M seam sealer but is black in color instead of tan/beige.

Used this on the Fury and it worked well.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/16/09 02:14 AM

How cheap can you be ?!?!?!? I could understand trying to save a buck if you needed a couple hundred tubes !!!
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Looking for inexpensive substitute for seam sealer - 03/16/09 05:04 AM

Quote:

How cheap can you be ?!?!?!? I could understand trying to save a buck if you needed a couple hundred tubes !!!

+1
© 2024 Moparts Forums