Moparts

Dexcool and Mopars

Posted By: Kudakidd

Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 03:46 PM

Is there any problems using Dexcool in our old Mopars? Any advantages or disadvantages? And how thoroughly does the Prestone have to be flushed before switching coolants?
Posted By: moparmandc

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 04:09 PM

not sure bout using them in older cars don't see a problem. i think iam going to switch to the chrysler hoat (pink) antifreeze in my 79 truck. do not mix pink and green and do not use dexcool use the chrysler hoat coolant it is much better and is not the same as dexcool. i work in a gm and chrysler dealer and have seen way more cooling system problems with dexcool that the hoat. with corrosion and it gets kind of waxy in areas that don't have a high volume of flow. pretty much dexcool is junk. have not seen those problems with chrysler 5 year antifreeze.
Posted By: jerseybud

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 04:41 PM

Don't use dexcool unless it was really cheap; I would use Zerex G-05, that stuff is awesome. its oem in alot of cars and i've had it in my s10 for 4 years after I got fed up with the dexcool sludge despite cap changes and the works.
EDIT: zerex g-05 is a hoat tech coolant, just in case there was any confusion. we're recommending the same thing

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 05:45 PM

What's really odd is that the Dexcool was put in my wife's Jeep by the dealership.

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 06:09 PM

are you sure it is dexcool or the chrysler antifreeze cause the color looks the same. (chrysler engineers must have seen the same things i am talking about) i took an engine class through chrysler bout 2 years ago and they stressed not to use dexcool cause they are not the same. gm has been using it since 96 and i have seen a lot of problems. chrysler has used hoat since about 00 or 01 and i have not seen any issues that i would atribute to antifreeze. take apart a gm with the same amount of time and miles and put a chrysler beside it and you will see the difference. we still put dexcool in gm and hoat in mopar but dexcool is job security for me at the dealer.

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 06:15 PM

i was looking at a jug of dexcool at the shop and it said it meets gm and ford spec's but nothing about chrysler. do what you wish but stay away from dex.

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 06:19 PM

Quote:

are you sure it is dexcool or the chrysler antifreeze cause the color looks the same. (chrysler engineers must have seen the same things i am talking about) i took an engine class through chrysler bout 2 years ago and they stressed not to use dexcool cause they are not the same.

Moparman, I will check into this more carefully. Thx.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 09:07 PM

Dexcool is crap.Dont use it period.Look at some GMs sometime.They look like mudholes.Either use green or we use the new Global stuff that mixes with anything.Two years in the 65 with aluminum heads and still good.I also doubt that a Mopar dealer used Dexcool.Probally the new Mopar stuff that is overpriced.Rocky
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/13/09 11:20 PM

which is same as g-5
Posted By: phantomx

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 12:57 AM

We have had water pump failures on our Libertys at work. When you pull the pump there is a ton of pitting and it is usually eating its way through the gasket surface. Our vehicles do get used ALOT though, they pretty much are running 24/7.
Travis..
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 01:08 AM

IMO the MOPAR 5 year coolant seems to be corrosive I see a crust residue on components like radator caps and overflow bottles. Stick with green coolant.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 01:46 AM

I work in an independant repair shop and we see tons of cooling system problems from the newer style coolants, especially dex-cool. Green was fine in all the old cars and it is cheaper so I don't see any reason to use anything else. When you buy antifreeze the trick is to buy a name brand that has the proper aditives in it and use only DISTILLED water, that would be a fool proof plan for coolant.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 01:58 AM

guess I am lucky since 96 we have had a 96 1500 pu a 96 boneville 4 different vetts and a saturn all with dex cool and have never had a cooling problem out of 1 of them right now the wife is driving a 05 vette with 60k on it and the dex cool still looks new.
Posted By: phantomx

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 02:32 AM

Quote:

I work in an independant repair shop and we see tons of cooling system problems from the newer style coolants, especially dex-cool. Green was fine in all the old cars and it is cheaper so I don't see any reason to use anything else. When you buy antifreeze the trick is to buy a name brand that has the proper aditives in it and use only DISTILLED water, that would be a fool proof plan for coolant.

I have been buying the premixed coolant lately, no hassle and no guesswork.
Travis..
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 02:47 AM

Quote:

Dexcool is crap.Dont use it period.Look at some GMs sometime.They look like mudholes.Either use green or we use the new Global stuff that mixes with anything.Two years in the 65 with aluminum heads and still good.I also doubt that a Mopar dealer used Dexcool.Probally the new Mopar stuff that is overpriced.Rocky

We dont even keep the dex cool on the inventory.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 05:03 AM

I've been running for several years nothing but Zerex G-05, 60% coolant/ 40% water, with a 12 oz additive of Redline waterwetter,.......very effective in a hot running car,.....esp wingcars, as they have reduced, and relocated grille openings,........the only problem I have now, is the car runs too cool

Attached picture 5091885-11111111111111111111111111111.jpg
Posted By: 734x4PW

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 01:55 PM

The difference is in the additive package. All coolants (besides RV coolant) is ethylene-glycol based. The old "green" coolant we know and love is phosphate and silicate based. This coolant requires frequent service and does have corrosion issues with newer dissimilar metals (i.e. aluminum, iron, magnesium, etc.). So, the OEM's tried to reformulate their coolants. OAT is Organic Acid Technology coolant, and is what GM uses. HOAT is Hybrid OAT coolant, which is what Ford, Chrysler, and Honda use. The differences get very technical, but suffice to say NOBODY wants to use Dexcool in their car but GM. Honda threw a fit when GM insisted that Dexcool was to be used in the 3.5's in the Saturn Vues. Here are a couple of links to articles by Motor Magazine. They're very informative and will answer a lot of questions.

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=816

and also, a more recent one...

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=938

Mark
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 01:57 PM

Quote:

Is there any problems using Dexcool in our old Mopars? Any advantages or disadvantages? And how thoroughly does the Prestone have to be flushed before switching coolants?

That stuff SUCKS , DON'T DO IT .

I just worked on a car that had dexcool that was supposed to have it , you should have seen the SLUDGE that was in the radiator.

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 02:08 PM

Mark, very interesting articles. Looks like I'm going to have to go back to service and insist they switch back to ethl glycol. The engine is a straight 6 in my wife's 96 Jeep, and I don't know why they made the change in the first place (while they installed a new radiator).
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/14/09 11:28 PM

dexcool has alot of problems, we take it out of as many customers cars as possible, GM is being suied over it, type Dexcool on google and check it out? i recommend that any body that has it in the cars or truck get it out before 75,000 and your problems could start.
Posted By: 734x4PW

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 03/15/09 03:05 AM

As stated above, Dexcool can cause a host of problems. At our shop, we use Zerex G-05 whenever a long-life coolant is recommended. If a car originally had green, we use that. We have had no problems due to the HOAT G-05. We've flushed quite a few to get rid of the Dexcool. We even found out our local Chevy house gets rid of the stuff from customer's cars after the warranty period expires.

My mother-in-laws car plugged up two heater cores by using Dexcool in her '96 Caprice. We even installed a spin-on coolant filter to remedy it. No dice. She drives a Lincoln Town Car, now.

Mark
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/10/24 07:03 PM

Dang it...

I was just given 8 gallons of Dex-Cool by a friend moving out of town.. glad I checked here before using it.. Seems like the crap is useless to me.

Moral Question:
Shall I just give it all to a GM friend and let them suffer the consequences? whistling

- Art
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/10/24 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 67SATisfaction
Dang it...

I was just given 8 gallons of Dex-Cool by a friend moving out of town.. glad I checked here before using it.. Seems like the crap is useless to me.

Moral Question:
Shall I just give it all to a GM friend and let them suffer the consequences? whistling

- Art

That depends , is it a GOOD friend ... whistling
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/10/24 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by 67SATisfaction
Dang it...

Moral Question:

- Art

That depends , is it a GOOD friend ... whistling

laugh2

hm... .. can *any* GM owner really be a "good" friend? work
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/10/24 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kudakidd

When Dexcool first came out it was a disaster. We routinely flushed it out and went back to green. And yes, it looked like mud.

That said, I have not had issues for probably 10 years at least. More like 15+
Coolant drained from a car newer than 2010 looks brand new at any age or mileage.

We have a drum of "Global" coolant for most vehicles and I've been switching my antique cars over to it. So far I've been extremely happy. No rust or corrosion. Costs me 1.40 per qt

I do keep several jugs of coolant for VW and some Asian cars so the coolant keeps the same color as new. I am of the opinion all new extended life coolant is the same other than the dye but on a customers car better safe than sorry. And I don't want someone noticing a different color in the overflow.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/10/24 11:08 PM

I don't think any name brand anti-freeze will be a problem as long as it is changed on a regular basis. The big issue with some of these "new" anti-freeze solutions has been the fact that people don't flush the system. Also, some of them were really sensitive to small combustion leaks. If someone gave me a bunch of anti-freeze I'd use it, but I'd also keep an eye on it. And most likely I'd change it every year or at most every 24 months.
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/10/24 11:41 PM

I'll be the outlier here. Back in mid '90s when I did my 383 over I went with the cool new high tech long lasting Dexcool for my new engine. I really liked the 100k or 10 year life it was supposed to have. Flash forward to 2015 I was no where near the 100k but I was well past my due date so I changed it again. The fluid looked great. It never over heated on me and always ran cool. My second go around with it has been just as good so far. That car may be the exception to the rule, and like I say it was put in a fresh engine. On the flip side I've had more than one GM I've switched away from it because it crudded up and what not.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/11/24 12:26 AM

Dex cool is a very good coolant with regular maintenance, granted you have no presence of combustible gasses or an constant introduction of oxygen into the cooling system. Yes, I've seen the mud. And every time, it was due to failed components, not just the coolant itself. Mopar acid tech coolant is not dex cool, but they look identical.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/11/24 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by moparjim79
Dex cool is a very good coolant with regular maintenance,

Yet advertised as extended use coolant.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/11/24 04:48 AM

Just say no to deathcool. I dealt with two 3.8 gm cars in the family and it was nothing but trouble, even with flushes. Plugged up radiator cores like a pack of gummy bears was dropped in the tank. Saw the junk come directly out of one core and it stayed clear for about a winter before it plugged again. I believe the trans failed in one car from it running warm. Despite flushing throughly. Another northstar in the family failed like it was designed to before the plugging got bad enough to leave you cold in January.

No chance I’d run that bs in anything.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/11/24 10:09 AM

from antifreeze wiki

Organic acid technology[edit]
Most modern cars are built with organic acid technology (OAT) antifreeze (e.g., DEX-COOL[23]), or with a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulation (e.g., Zerex G-05),[24] both of which are claimed to have an extended service life of five years or 240,000 km (150,000 mi).

DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in General Motors' (GM's) 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. One of the anti-corrosion components presented as sodium or potassium 2-ethylhexanoate and ethylhexanoic acid is incompatible with nylon 6,6 and silicone rubber, and is a known plasticizer. Class action lawsuits were registered in several states of the US, and in Canada,[25] to address some of these claims. The first of these to reach a decision was in Missouri, where a settlement was announced early in December 2007.[26] Late in March 2008, GM agreed to compensate complainants in the remaining 49 states.[27] GM (Motors Liquidation Company) filed for bankruptcy in 2009, which tied up the outstanding claims until a court determines who gets paid.[28]

According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine".[29] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), the latter which works well with the hard water found in the United States, but is a plasticizer that can cause gaskets to leak.[21]

According to internal GM documents,[29] the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.[29]
Posted By: dvw

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/11/24 12:36 PM

I worked as a line tech at a Chevrolet dealer. We used to call it Dex-Plug. The stuff clogged of heater cores, radiators. I could change 3.4 intakes gaskets with my eyes closed. we could get it free, nope.
Doug
Posted By: therocks

Re: Dexcool and Mopars - 01/11/24 01:37 PM

Unless they changed it it is the worst crap ever made.Cant say how many car we had here that it sludged up in.Havent worked on GMs that used it in like 10 years.Just buy the regular coolant that can be used in anything.
© 2024 Moparts Forums