Moparts

413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such....

Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 11/30/18 06:00 AM

NOT as a HP piece USING those stock heads with the huge water pump ??.....what did you do about that loooow compression ? Leave the heads dead-stock ? Any upgrade on the cam ? Carburation ? Intake ? Exhaust ?
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 11/30/18 01:15 PM

If you are on an extreme budget and dont plan on new pistons- could you install a camshaft that maximizes cyl pressure?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 11/30/18 08:03 PM

If your going to reuse it in a truck or motor home I would check the bores first for taper and wear first and go from there work I would try to duplicate the original parts for the heavy duty use twocents
They where designed to be ran at or near WOT for long times and live carrying a lot of weight shruggy
I don't remember what RPM they where governed at but it was not above 4500 RPM if I'm thinking correctly confused
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 05:37 AM

If your gunna do it,,,do it right and make the power it needs to travel and be able to pass!! Unless you drive like a gEEzEr whistling
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 05:54 AM

hi

maby an r v cam and mill the heads some .

other option to rais compression is prob costom pistons ?

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 06:50 AM

Dayummmm .... 184 views !! .... it’s no BARN FIND popular topic like some apimp post ... but i am surprised ! ..... I have two gasser motor homies I’d like to play with IN DEPTH. The only thing I’ve done so far is that junker cast inon intake and that pathetic Holley carb. On top now is Eddy Streetmaster intake and a PLASTIC FANTASTIC !

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By 2boltmain
If you are on an extreme budget and dont plan on new pistons- could you install a camshaft that maximizes cyl pressure?

2b .... don’t have a bottomless budget like some toe and sno hoes do !! ... (aka apimp.... who have a towing and snow clearing businesses) !! .... whistling wave

PISTONS are the main concern .... I have THREE SETS to consider - std bore 11 to 1 max wedge pop ups, and two sets of 413 30s and 60s ... gotta do some specing of the block deck and cyl head CCs ..... cal head is supposedly way over 100 cc. A cam is also super important !!

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
If your going to reuse it in a truck or motor home I would check the bores first for taper and wear first and go from there work I would try to duplicate the original parts for the heavy duty use twocents
They where designed to be ran at or near WOT for long times and live carrying a lot of weight shruggy
I don't remember what RPM they where governed at but it was not above 4500 RPM if I'm thinking correctly confused

CABster .... I’ve talked to several people who have used these blocks for HP use and taper and wear were never an issue they saw. NEVER MUCH sludge build up because the motor is so heavily loaded PLUS low miles. I have one part apart up in Michigan that has ZERO sludge !

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis
If your gunna do it,,,do it right and make the power it needs to travel and be able to pass!! Unless you drive like a gEEzEr whistling

CORRECT THAT ..... Isn’t that DRIVE LIKE a Long Islander ??!! 5 to 10 mph In that traffic MOST OF the 24 hours of the day !!!

DONT you have a snow drift to plow OR GET your rig to get stuck in ??!!... beer

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By calrobb2000
hi

maby an r v cam and mill the heads some .

other option to rais compression is prob costom pistons ?

cr2 .... absolutely an Rv cam ... any suggestions ? The heads you have to stick with. They’are ABSOLUTE JUNK for HP ... but for a GRUNT MOTOR .. they are perfect IMO. Custom pistons ? ... if need be -!YEA !
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/01/18 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By Doc Fiberglass
Originally Posted By hemi-itis

CORRECT THAT ..... Isn’t that DRIVE LIKE a Long Islander ??!! 5 to 10 mph In that traffic MOST OF the 24 hours of the day !!!

DONT you have a snow drift to plow OR GET your rig to get stuck in ??!!... beer

After you get out of the greater NYC area the speed picks up to 25 MPH.
So if your gunna build something,do right the 1st time!Splurge for some aluminum heads and aluminum dual plane intake.Make it a torqueee package to pulling up hills with a car trailer is effortless!

OPEN that wallet and let the moths FLY!! pity

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/02/18 03:43 AM

Jsta nutter joker from NYC ! ... gEeZeR 25 mph speed in nEw YaCk ! ... alum heads on a grunt V8 moder ! ... put down that fatty !
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 02:52 AM

You could go old-school and find some 915 heads
Posted By: elmor353

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 03:16 AM

If it's only going to be a truck engine, no sense in using 915 heads. They are waaay expensive these days. A set of 516's would work great in a truck. I am using a set with larger exhaust valves on the 440 in my pickup. It rarely if ever see's north of 5 grand and makes all kinds of torque with the factory .430 lift cam.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
You could go old-school and find some 915 heads

PB .... do you know how long a set of 915s would last on a motorhome modern during a long pull up a Tennessee mountain ?

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By elmor353
If it's only going to be a truck engine, no sense in using 915 heads. They are waaay expensive these days. A set of 516's would work great in a truck. I am using a set with larger exhaust valves on the 440 in my pickup. It rarely if ever see's north of 5 grand and makes all kinds of torque with the factory .430 lift cam.

Guys .., yurr missing the point and purpose of those goofy heads !

Anyone know how truly SPECIAL those heads are ?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By CarrotVanMan

Guys .., yurr missing the point and purpose of those goofy heads !

Anyone know how truly SPECIAL those heads are ?

Lots of cooling around the exhaust.

Kevin
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 06:00 AM

Does anybody else get a headache from reading Doc threads?

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 06:02 AM

As has been posted, the whole package was designed to run with both feet flat on the floor pulling hard at 3500-3800 rpm for hours and hours.

I started my illustrious career in a swing fender C800 with a 413.

Kevin

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 06:07 AM

Ahhh Mr Sears from Roebuck up.... how’s the weather UP THERE ??!!

BIG TIME cooling ..., I’d be willing to wager maybe TWICE the cooling capacity in those heads than any other RB head made ! .... and also cost Chrysler(so I was told) 100$ the pair or each) to produce. eek

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By CarrotVanMan
Ahhh Mr Sears from Roebuck up.... how’s the weather UP THERE ??!!

BIG TIME cooling ..., I’d be willing to wager maybe TWICE the cooling capacity in those heads than any other RB head made ! .... and also cost Chrysler(so I was told) 100$ the pair or each) to produce. eek

It's a balmy 39 deg F. I was in Thompson Manitoba yesterday. 18 deg there which is pretty mild given the time of year. Could just as easily be -18. Calling for -15 mid week.

Kevin

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/03/18 08:23 AM

K .... it was a BALMY 46 here a couple of days ago HERE ! .... and I stand corrected on that above post - that was 100$ each or a pair MORE than any other RB head to date ... because of all that TRICK STUFF !
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/04/18 08:14 PM

Doc, I have never had one of these 413 tow motors apart. What do the head chambers look like- similar to regular big block? I am wondering if there is a step head design piston that would make quench but keep compression low enough to run on regular. Better MPG, better torque, etc.
Another thought for pistons- 383 stroker piston made for 3.75 crank?

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/04/18 10:49 PM

Again, if this is going to be a truck engine with the industrial heads, why even consider performance pistons? I'm confused as to what you are trying to make this engine do.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 12:36 AM

Well, increasing the compression ratio can increase efficiency and have a large impact on gas mileage. It will also build more torque. Nothing wrong with a little hot rodding.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 12:58 AM

Wow guyz ...almost 700 views on a topic like this ? I am iMpReSsEd !

Don't have a lot of time now but will later .... there HAS TO BE more people out there that have tweated these motors more than I have and my experience AINT much boogie

mGO .... the head chambers are HUGE .. well over 100 cc's. The step piston ? ... jsta like the 11 to one max wedgie ? ... lol ... never did any of these specs personally but I hear also the actual REAL WORLD compression ratio of these motors was DEEEP in the 6 to one ! The CD of the piston was low PLUS theres a 220 dish in there also. GOTTA GET the ratio up to high 9's or low 10's IMO.

I'd like to hear about that 383 stroker piston with a good CD.

BTW ....whateverhappened TO BLUE ? .... after the ohhowIhateohiostate game I would have thought maybe Jim Har would jumped off the Ren Sen Building !! fan

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 01:01 AM

Again, if this is going to be a truck engine with the industrial heads, why even consider performance pistons? I'm confused as to what you are trying to make this engine do.

eL .... jsta to get the compression UP to a reasonable number. 6.4 to 6.6 is the number I've heard thrown around. NO PROBLEM with huge heat in the cyl head because of the HUGE cooling ability there.
Posted By: Chris Johnson

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 02:48 AM

I rebuilt an old 413 motorhome engine. I orginally had this engine lying around so I stuck it in my Dakota, then it started to smoke badly after overheating(lost WP belts and didn't notice till too late). Just a stock rebuild .030" over. Stock heads slightly milled, stock massive waterpump, and intake. I made custom headers for it for fun. Not a HP champ by any means but amazing low end torque. Make the truck scary that I won't let others drive it in the rain. Originally rebuilt as I was going to boost the truck so low compression was a bonus, but other projects took place and now just looking for an old D600 I can put it in.
Posted By: Chris Johnson

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 02:56 AM

Attached picture dak.jpg
Attached picture engine.jpg

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 03:58 AM

Nice. What is the bracket for above the alternator?

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 08:42 AM

CJ .... NICE - someone likes GOLD I see !! ... so what did you use for pistons and a cam ? Any work done to the heads other than milling ? How much ? Which intake is that ?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 04:18 PM

Looks like the original factory intake on the 413 pictured above. Same one that was on my 413 industrial/motorhome engine. Raised carb pad and 4 hole plenum.

I've never built one, only examined the one I have in the pic below.

Attached picture 413 stand.jpeg

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
Looks like the original factory intake on the 413 pictured above. Same one that was on my 413 industrial/motorhome engine. Raised carb pad and 4 hole plenum.

I've never built one, only examined the one I have in the pic below.

Ooops ... you had a better eye and a clearer mind than I did at 2am this morning ... CJ did mention a stock intake and the pic does show the 4 holes.

When I picked up that 73 Discoverer it did have that iron intake and helly carb .... the first thing I did was put the Streetmaster intake and TQ on it ...,ran a TON better.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 07:54 PM

I would up the compression a bit- cut the heads or new pistons- and port the heads. Take a look at the bowl blend and toss on a good intake. I would toss a mild hydraulic in it- .450"-.475" lift and 220ish at .050". Headers. Then tweak!

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 07:59 PM

YURR ideas are not cRaZy at all !

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 08:16 PM

Do they actually make headers for those engines?

If I were to do anything to one of them, it'd be pretty much exactly what crazymoparguy lined out. Nothing that would alter the driveability or characteristics of it at all, other than adding a little power.

There's a complete longblock for sale on ebay in Alabama right now for $760.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 08:29 PM

Roger Dodger on headers but the issues I hear with those is the primary tube is too thin and can burn out. .... yeah - that lOoNy guy from cAnUcKaDa isn’t so cRaZy afterall !

That short block ? dished pistons ?

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 10:34 PM

Roger Dodger on headers but the issues I hear with those is the primary tube is too thin and can burn out. .... yeah - that lOoNy guy from cAnUcKaDa isn’t so cRaZy afterall !

No I am.
I was searching for a B&M blower setup when doing my flamed motorhome. I worried about the heat, only reason I never tried it.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 10:37 PM

Do they actually make headers for those engines?

I am not sure. I doubt it, probably have to make them.
I like making headers so not a big deal to me, but a pain in the rear to some I'm sure.
My new motorhome has headers on the 440 but standard passenger car type heads. The industrial engine the way to go on bigger motorhomes for sure.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 10:39 PM

WAS searching ? .... so you totally GAVE UP the idea of racing my AERO DISCOverer up on the BIG END ? ....a wise move indeed devil Santa4

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 10:47 PM

Yes.

Attached picture 413 pistons.jpeg

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/05/18 11:18 PM

I'm looking at 2x4bbl 440 Travco L'Esprit now.....
Buddy Baker.... LOOK OUT!!!!
eek

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/06/18 12:26 AM

AC?

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/06/18 12:34 AM

Yes.

THAT GUY should get the SALESMAN OF THE YEAR if he can get NEAR that money !! .... the last one I got off CL was jsta before I moved to Paradise ..... he had it in his garage for over a year .....GET THIS OUTA HERE .... by the weekend - MOTOR AND TRANS .... 100$ !

All I checked was if it would roll over ...

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/06/18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By CrAzYMoPaRGuY
I'm looking at 2x4bbl 440 Travco L'Esprit now.....
Buddy Baker.... LOOK OUT!!!!
eek

NOW yurr truly showing yerr cRaZiNeSs !! ... :

The L’Esprit .... has the AERO of 2 blooming Pro Stock pArAcHuTeS ...... tsk
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/06/18 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By Twostick
As has been posted, the whole package was designed to run with both feet flat on the floor pulling hard at 3500-3800 rpm for hours and hours.

I started my illustrious career in a swing fender C800 with a 413.

Kevin

Hmmm... I didn't know the truck 413 had the cooling loops. I "thought" it was just the '73 440 motor home & the late '70's cop car 400's. Learn something every day.

Looking at that short block, I don't see the two holes at the "bottom" of the deck surface like the '73 440 motor home engine I had.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/06/18 02:37 AM

Wow .... we have almost the same amount of views as the carbon fiber dash! .....hubba HUBBA guys !

TELL ME if I’m missing any special features about these heads .....angled spark plugs, removable exhaust valve seats(intakes on some I hear) , exh valve rotators, HUGE coolant capacity, heated coolant pulled directly from the cyl head, AND ... coolant fed heat crossover in the intake .... NO direct exh heat into the intake !!

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/06/18 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By mgoblue9798

Probably an air compressor mount for air brakes.

Kevin

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/06/18 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By Twostick
Originally Posted By mgoblue9798

Probably an air compressor mount for air brakes.

Kevin

THX SearsGuy ....I didn't know that !
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/07/18 03:05 PM

Humm? my understanding was that you use the 413 indust engine and bore stroke it to a 426 wedge engine. and dress it as a 413 or 426.

maybe that's just a racer trick?

I think it would look cool as a rat rod engine to ugly to hid under a hood with the odd ball wp housing.

Re: 413 motorhome or truck REBUILD and used as such.... - 12/07/18 11:45 PM

s-IN .... don't diss da PUMP ! ... it's a very effective piece !
© 2024 Moparts Forums