Moparts

Brass float vs plastic, which one?

Posted By: BlueRacer69

Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 06:06 AM

Hi fellow members. Which type of gas tank float works better, last longer with today's crappy gas? Brass or plastic. Or does it not matter that much. Thanks for your opinions.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 05:00 PM

Seeing what ethanol does to parts and without knowing what type of plastic resin is used to make floats, I use the brass floats when I can. Someone more in the know than me may have a reason to say otherwise.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 06:01 PM

I prefer the brass ones as well, however I have used the phenolic ones with ethanol fuel without problems.
Posted By: tallzag

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 06:49 PM

Brass - any kind of plastic just doesn't hold up well to ethanol. The price difference is negligible between brass and plastic.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 07:43 PM

and, if my old feeble mind recalls what i remember, there is a ford float that is cheaper than the mopar one, and it fits the swing arm perfectly. it "may" be for a 70's ford pickup, but i'm not sure on that.
others here may have a better memory than me. biggrin [wouldn't be much effort for that to be true]
beer
Posted By: johntpr

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 07:55 PM

Ford part # COAZ-9202-B
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 08:20 PM

Get an american made one even if it is a furd (overseas solder can be a problem)
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/26/18 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By tallzag
Brass - any kind of plastic just doesn't hold up well to ethanol. The price difference is negligible between brass and plastic.

You may want to research this a little more. I run alcohol and wouldn’t run brass floats if you gave them to me
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/27/18 04:17 AM

^^^ That jogged a memory of a conversation I had with John at "the carburetor shop" who lives/breathes carbs & he said nitro floats give more control & are lighter & to beware of overseas brass floats cuz the solder is substandard & can fail. He did mention something about ethanol but since I ain't running it I did not write it down (& dont remember it). This was regarding a circle track Rochester 2bbl FWIW.

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/27/18 06:11 AM

Are the brass floats that Ford sells made here in the USA or overseas. Anybody know? Thanks.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/27/18 06:54 AM

Most gas tank floats are made from Polypropylene/Polyethylene family plastics which are impervious to most chemicals including gas, alcohol, and fuels in general. Same plastic fuel jugs are made from.

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/27/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Most gas tank floats are made from Polypropylene/Polyethylene family plastics which are impervious to most chemicals including gas, alcohol, and fuels in general. Same plastic fuel jugs are made from.
Thanks Scott, I didn't realize that. up
Posted By: wingman

Re: Brass float vs plastic, which one? - 11/27/18 05:54 PM

For what it's worth, the only 2 floats I have ever had "sink" were brass. I have never had a plastic one leak on me.

Your experience may vary.
© 2024 Moparts Forums