Moparts

Power steering pressure port thread size

Posted By: fastmark

Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 01:53 PM

I’m trying to convert the pressure port on my 70 cuda to receive a different hose with a #6 AN fitting. We can’t figure out what the fitting thread and size is called. It’s a straight thread with no taper so it’s not NPT. It uses a copper washer for sealing. Where would you get a fitting like that? We’ve tried ever place in town. Hate to just order something without knowing what to call it.
Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 01:59 PM

Inverted flare to AN. I have used smaller ones on brake lines. You just have to find thread size. 1/2" maybe?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 04:00 PM

Rockauto has the info in the power steering section. looks like 5/16 SAE
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 04:12 PM

its just a straight thread port fitting. some of the power steering pumps use an inverted flare. it would help to know what year car and pump we are talking about

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 04:29 PM

This is a custom application with a single serpentine belt and pump. Tru-trac, I think. They have regulate AN fittings on the pump. That’s not the problem. It’s the fitting out of the power box. It’s a fine thread that’s straight. We need to eliminate the original flared adapter that goes to the oem hose.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 05:32 PM

I've made those for the gear boxes in the past. take a pic of the fitting and post it here. you need to modify an AN fitting with a -6 male jic

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 06:47 PM

Is a -6 male jic the same thing that goes through a hole like a bulkhead connector or oil pan pick up?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/16/18 09:27 PM

The straight threads in the valve are 1/2"-20, same as #5 AN.

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/17/18 12:43 AM

Thanks. I just screw my thread chaser in the hole and discovered it was 1/2”x 20. We have to go to 6 an so I bet we can.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/17/18 01:02 AM

https://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/961946/10002/-1

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/17/18 02:40 PM

You da man, John. I don’t know how it is that I can look for stuff and not find on jegs or summit either one. Thanks.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/18/18 03:23 PM

Doesn't that Jeg add say it is 1/2" NPT? I thought the valve body was 1/2"-20?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/18/18 03:53 PM

Quote:
Earl's Power Steering/Fuel Pump Adapter Fitting -06AN to 1/2"-20

Re: Power steering pressure port thread size - 11/18/18 05:44 PM

In the description, it does say NPT but I think that is incorrect. It looks straight to me with an inverted flare on that end as well. I’m not sure what the 20 NTI other than national threads per inch. NPT would have threads all the way to the end. May have to call Earls.
© 2024 Moparts Forums