Moparts

In-tank Electric Fuel Pump

Posted By: jb500

In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/02/18 02:12 AM

Looking to upgrade fuel system for a carb motor with either the Holley or Aeromotive in-tank returnless systems. Going into a new stock B-Body tank. Is one a better option than the other? Feeding a 550-600hp motor. Carb only, no power adders or boost.

Leaning towards the Holley unit due to the hydramat pickup.

Thanks!
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/02/18 02:27 AM

both have good and bad.
read on the hydro mat. it has to be replaced periodically. I think every 10 years.
might not be an issue to you, or it might.

but if you are getting a new tank, why not one of the in tank specific ones for efi, with a regulator to your carb instead?

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/02/18 03:34 AM

I Looked at the Tanks Inc offering before seeing the returnless offerings by Holley and Aero. What moved me towards the latter is the simpler setup they offer. The Tanks way needs feed and return line, return style regulator, and a fuel level sender. Using the Holley (for example) all I have to do is cut a hole in the new tank, swap over the stock pickup/sender, hook up my existing fuel line and regulator. Costs are about the same when adding up all the extras with the return style (hose, fitting, reg, etc..) vs the Holley using existing hardware.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/02/18 02:29 PM

I would go the tanks with return line and regulator after the carb. The most stable fuel supply with no restriction.
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/02/18 04:56 PM

I like the return line fuel systems better. The Aeromotive 340 lph pump will work for you. They have a drop in tank unit available.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/03/18 02:25 AM

maybe I don't understand. returnless and return is a function of the regulator and sometimes the pump.
both of which it looks like you can chose in the tank inc setup.

But they aren't the only ones that do it.
I am sure there are others.

I feel if the cost is the same why not buy one made for in tank with the baffels and stuff already built in.

you can always cap the return line at the tank, and pick a returnless regulator and a lower pressure pump.
Posted By: frank

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/03/18 05:59 AM

I have in tank pump on two of my cars, both B bodies. One uses a stock tank with Aeromotive Stealth 340 and the other a Tanks Inc tank with Wallbro 255. Both are carb. I like the stock tank setup better. The tanks Inc tanks come with a surge box so there is no issue with fuel starvation with low fuel quantity. If you use a stock tack you have to open it anyway so building a surge box is not an issue. I don't like the way the Tanks Inc tanks are plumbed on top. The top plate is bulky and (at least for me) I had some clearance problems that had to be worked out to make the tank work. I would consider running a return line and regulator.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/03/18 01:51 PM

I have the tanks inc in my duster with ez efi I just used 3/8” steel line and made new supply and return. I like it, in fact I keep thinking to put one in my dart that’s carb.
Posted By: BDW

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/03/18 03:01 PM

Check out Spectra (RockAuto), stock tank baffled with in-tank electric pump.
Got 1 for my Challenger and it's almost 1/2 the cost of Tanks and has sender hook-up in the stock position. Works great.

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/03/18 07:31 PM

Appreciate the input and info. I was unaware of the Spectra tank option. That looks like a real nice piece and the pump should be more than enough at approx. 70gal/hr.

It looks like the inlet and return lines are hose nipples, is that correct? No big deal, just not great pics on their web site.

Thanks!
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/03/18 10:57 PM

I have used stock modified for an in-tank pump, the Spectra tank and the one from Tanks Inc. I like the Tanks Inc. one the best. Is is well baffled, powder coated, has a good pump mounting setup and fits good.
The Spectra tank works good also and is cheaper. The baffle setup is ok on the Spectra tank. I don't like the pump mounting setup they use and have had problems getting the lock ring gasket to seal. The main problem is the sender ohm range is not right and the fuel gauge is way off. I would use a Spectra tank before wasting time modding a stock one for the price and they also come with a good 255lph walbro pump.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/04/18 12:33 AM

I just put a new stock tank on my 73 Cuda before I considered the benefits of EFI. If EFI is in the budget next year, rather than replace or cut up the tank I'm going to try the Spectra pump assembly that goes in through the stock sender location.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5B2I3D/?co...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Probably the same one in the tank RockAuto sells. If it works, it is the cheapest way I've seen to get an in tank fuel pump. I would think they would have one for the B body.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/04/18 02:27 AM

I have an Aeromotive 340 lph in a stock tank (Phantom system) in my Duster and it picks up fuel flawlessly. I would do a return line and also put a check valve in it.

I haven't plumbed my Russell check valve in yet, but the Aeromotive 340 LPH doesn't have a check valve as part of the pump like a normal EFI car so I get drainback and air in the rails if the car sits for more than a few days.

The return system will eliminate any possibility of vapor lock and keep your lines air free other than maybe the first 5-10 seconds the car runs.
Posted By: BDW

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 11/04/18 04:27 AM

Spectra uses the same style sender as stock.

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 12/17/18 06:15 PM

Just a FYI on the Spectra EFI tank setup. Right now Autozone has a 20% off code and free shipping to your door until next Monday.

Just ordered one for my ride for ~$350 + tax.

Thanks for the suggestion on Spectra!
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 12/18/18 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By jb500
Just a FYI on the Spectra EFI tank setup. Right now Autozone has a 20% off code and free shipping to your door until next Monday.

Just ordered one for my ride for ~$350 + tax.

Thanks for the suggestion on Spectra!

That is a good price. I paid $366 back in 2015 for mine, and noticed the same place now wants $510 for them.

Just check the wiring bulkhead to make sure the wires are not shorting, which me and at least another used had issues with. Just had to rotate the connection on the inside away from the support brace. Simple fix, but annoying to find after installing the tank and filling with fuel.
For a ground, I used a sheet metal screw to connect a wire with a lug, in one of the outer tank corners where the top and bottom of the tank are seemed together (not into the fuel tank area of course.)
Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 12/18/18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By BDW
Spectra uses the same style sender as stock.

How does that sender work with a stock gauge? I've been through 4 replacement senders, that didn't work out of the box and all for different reasons, because I needed a 3/8" (I only paid for one). The one I have now works, but I don't think it is dampened in any way so it is only still when stopped or cruising. You jump on the gas and it drops at least 1/4 tank and then oscillates for a bit before stabilizing. It also seems to make fuel on cold mornings. By lunch time I usually have 1/4 tank more than when I started it that morning. Factory 5/16 sender works perfectly.

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 12/19/18 05:23 AM

Pretty quick turnaround ARO. It showed up on my doorstep today.

A few issues found with the initial quality check:
*box got dropped somewhere along the line and got the front corner. Not the actual tank, but the leftover flange from the welding of the two halves. Easily bent back with pliers.

*Looking in the tank there appears to be some chips and other small debris in the tank seams. A quick rinse before use should get them out...and to check the front seam that was bent up from shipping.

*Pick up wiring is good. Seen some of the prior posts regarding the connectors shorting out against the inner bracket and this one is good as received.

Now to get the return reg and re-plumb the fuel lines.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 12/19/18 08:32 PM

Before you put it in the car you should put some gas in it and check for leaks around the sender. And check the ohm range of the sender to see where it is full and empty. twocents
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: In-tank Electric Fuel Pump - 12/20/18 07:53 AM

One more Spectra tank note. I ordered mine through Rock Auto for my e-body at a good price. I was disappointed as the shipper damaged the tank - one corner of the tank was bent and there was a softball sized dent in the same corner of the tank. After sending photos, RA sent out a new one right away at no charge and let me keep the old one. Nice customer service since I expect the pump and sender are good.

Anyway, the reason for the post is a reminder to clean the inside of the tank before installation. The tanks I received had a yellowish preservative inside that almost looks like cosmoline. It feels like grease. Some folks posted about the preservative clogging their filter/sock and burning up the fuel pump. Gasoline seemed to dissolve the coating easily.
© 2024 Moparts Forums