Moparts

What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage?

Posted By: vinnyd76

What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/21/18 08:53 PM

What product/procedure do you recommend to apply to machine surfaces (e.g. blocks, heads) for indoor or garage storage (in the mid-west)?

Anyone ever use a product called Castle Muscle Grease?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/21/18 09:04 PM

I usually use plain grease, or oil.
Put in plastic bags.
Cleans right up when needed with a small bit of solvent.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/21/18 11:06 PM

pour some 30wt eng oil in a squirt bottle then add solvent till it is the "right" viscosity (as thick as you can get it & it will still spray) & drown everything with more than what you think is enough.
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/22/18 12:16 AM

Oil is not the best because it can become acidic and it eventually runs off. Grease stays put but it will absorb moisture over time.
The best thing to use is cosmoline. The military has been using it forever. I have opened parts wrapped in cosmoline from the 40's and they still look new.
https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmolin...ASAAEgJUl_D_BwE
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/22/18 01:08 AM

Depends how long the stuff will be stored. I used to put oil or grease or Cosmoline blocks and cranks but I eventually figured out that when I store something it sometimes sits for years and years. So these days I just paint the parts after getting them hot tanked. Shoot them with some rattle can paint on all of the machined surfaces and then 10 years from now when you decide to use the block or crank you just get it hot tanked again.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/22/18 02:34 AM

LPS 3 is the best commercially available product I've used. It is essentially cosmoline or something close to it. Never had any rust under it and we get a bunch of opportunities in the spring.

https://www.amazon.com/LPS-Premier-Rust-...+rust+inhibitor
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/22/18 02:48 AM

Try googling VCI or VCPI film, we use it to protect 4340 steel parts are work. No oiling, just bag it up and call it good. Andrew
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/22/18 04:31 PM

I spray on some fluid film or krown lubricant. Been working fine on stuff stored in my (damp) garage.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/23/18 05:57 AM

I usually rub bare stuff down with transmission fluid. Vaseline works good too.
Posted By: Brian_wo

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/23/18 06:07 AM

I’ve got white lithium grease in a spray can and was thinking of using it.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/23/18 01:20 PM

I've had no problems with WD-40, i prefer the spray as it to get places I cannot get to with a rag
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/23/18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By gzig5
LPS 3 is the best commercially available product I've used. It is essentially cosmoline or something close to it. Never had any rust under it and we get a bunch of opportunities in the spring.

https://www.amazon.com/LPS-Premier-Rust-...+rust+inhibitor

I have been advised to use this product on airplane airframes to protect against corrosion.

WD40...oh my some folks get up in arms over the use of WD40. I have used a lot of it over the years like many others for corrosion protection and lube. I have had several airplane mechanics recommend against it use for corrosion and lube around airplanes.

I/we have used it on my bare chrome moly dragster chassis to keep them from rusting as I do not paint them since I have done weld repairs quite often.

I have 2 dragsters in my shop now, both bare chassis that have been scuffed with scothbrite pads and WD40 a few hundred times that are not rusting much at all after sitting now for more than 10 years. So I have nothing bad to say about WD40.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/23/18 05:09 PM

WD40 will work, but you have to keep up with it. I've found that a single application won't work for long term storage. Something is evaporating. If you apply occasionally it works as well as anything else, but that kinda misses the point. I'll use it on my milling machine table and other surfaces that need protection but would be cumbersome with a thick coating of LPS 3.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/23/18 06:02 PM

White lithium in a spray can will dry out harden and need to be scraped off if left there for a long Peoria of time. When it dries out is may not keep,the rust off.

I like oil and a brush to get in the hard to reach areas. Then a plastic bag to keep the dirt of and mess contained.
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: What product to apply to machine surfaces for storage? - 10/28/18 04:13 PM

The VCI film really works well. But we also use another product called Tectyl 900, it is an oil that you can spray from a squirt bottle.
© 2024 Moparts Forums