Moparts

draining a 42re pan

Posted By: rhad

draining a 42re pan - 10/18/18 04:52 AM

i have to remove the pan on my 42re trans,id like to avoid the mess of getting drenched in tranny fluid,so i have this idea of putting a small hose in thru the dipstick tube and using my mouth to start the suction to drain as much as i can before removing the pan,i dont want or need a mkouth full of fluid,but im thinking of givin it a try,once it starts flowing it should drain a fair amount,im aware that liquid dont run uphill but once it gets started thru suction it should work,
what say you guys am i completely crazy in my old age or just a little goofy?
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: draining a 42re pan - 10/18/18 05:43 AM

Yep , crazy. Give the kid next door $10 to take the pan down and take a atf bath . You are older and wiser and you work smarter, not harder. Act dumb when he is drenched and say "OOP's , I Didn't think that would happen " . http://board whistling
Posted By: BDW

Re: draining a 42re pan - 10/18/18 12:25 PM

Harbor Freight sells a cheap manual suction pump that will keep the tranny fluid out of your mouth.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: draining a 42re pan - 10/18/18 04:11 PM

Poke a hole in the pan with an awl. Ad a drain plug when you have the pan off.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: draining a 42re pan - 10/18/18 07:53 PM

iagree That's the way I do it except I use a sheet metal screw and gasket to close the hole.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: draining a 42re pan - 10/18/18 09:09 PM

Put it in the side not the bottom. If and when it scrapes bottom it doesn't rip off the head of the screw or drain plug.
© 2024 Moparts Forums