Moparts

Hose clamps

Posted By: 70duster340

Hose clamps - 10/18/18 02:07 AM

What would you all recommend for a good hose clamp? Don't want the 340 leaking or overheating. I have used the worm type in the past, but they always seem to need tightening again after a few days. I have tried to locate the OEM type, but haven't had much luck with that.

Thanks
Posted By: topside

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 02:49 AM

Restoration? OEM, as sold by pretty much every musclecar parts outlet.
Racecar or non-restoration/driver? Worm clamps I've used may need 1 re-tightening after awhile but not after.
Posted By: rhad

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 04:57 AM

if your not going for "looks" ,there is a clamp used on semis,etc called a constant torque clamp,it has a spring in it that keeps it tight
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 04:59 AM

I'm almost sure the reason the screw type clamps need retightening is due to the rubber being compress more when hot than cold which makes the clamps not tight anymore work twocents
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 06:19 AM

I use T-bolt clamps.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 01:02 PM

heat shrink clamps are tough to beat for constant torque, but they are one time use

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 05:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. Do the T-bolt clamps keep a constant pressure? I am guessing that the leaks come from the expanding and contracting from the heating and cooling of the antifreeze?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 05:50 PM

I've never had a leak with screw type clamps unless the water pump,( I have retighten them after driving them but they hadn't leak :work): thermostat housing or radiator nipples that the hose fit onto where severely corroded work shruggy
If yours are leaking make sure you know why they are leaking scope wrench
good luck, let us know what you find, that will help others on here in the future thumbs
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 05:51 PM

I use the later flat steel spring clamps wherever. Same stuff used everywhere nowadays.Rubber gets cold-stiff or hot-soft, the spring grip keeps a load on it. Sure they are a fight sometimes, depending on where they're at, but they are the way to go.

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 10:12 PM

From everything I have read, the spring clamps seem to be the way to go. I just don't know where I can find a kit with an assortment of various sizes, to include the upper and lower radiator hoses.

I had to replace the upper radiator hose clamp on my 2011 Ram (the OEM spring clamp had rusted and was leaking), but I had to tighten it 3 times before the leak stopped. That is a screw type clamp.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Hose clamps - 10/18/18 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
heat shrink clamps are tough to beat for constant torque, but they are one time use

I use these and love them! No more skinned knuckles!

I keep extra in the top of the toolbox in case I need to drain the radiator.

I use the Gates Powergrip brand thermoplastic clamps.

They also add to a clean look in the engine compartment.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Hose clamps - 10/19/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By GY3
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

I use these and love them! No more skinned knuckles!

I keep extra in the top of the toolbox in case I need to drain the radiator.

I use the Gates Powergrip brand thermoplastic clamps.

They also add to a clean look in the engine compartment.

I agree, if you can make the packaging and aesthetics work, they are tough to beat. They are perfect for the application I have here, four hose clamps looks terrible here.

Attached picture 32294434_1911197255590990_4324241350707904512_n.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums