Moparts

Green bearing O ring seal

Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Green bearing O ring seal - 10/15/18 02:36 PM

I know this may be a reach but does any one happen to know the part number of the O ring that fits on the 8 3/4 green bearings? I had a set of axles sitting on the shelf for years and discovered one of the bearings missing its O ring yesterday just as I was about to slide it in the housing... rant
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/15/18 05:43 PM

Call and ask Dr Diff.

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/15/18 05:48 PM

Yep...thats probably what I'm about to do, I know he's a busy guy was trying to keep from bugging him but looks like I'm going to have to...
Posted By: moparx

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/16/18 05:03 PM

please report back what you find out.
beer

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/16/18 05:52 PM

Will do, I have a call in to Dr. Diff...

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/16/18 07:31 PM

And the verdict is...take the axle to the parts store and find one that fits the groove and OD of the bearing but doesn't stick up too far (too thick). The bearings of course come with the O ring installed so anytime he has an issue he matches one up from the parts store. Kudos to Cass for taking time out to help me out up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/17/18 04:25 PM

o-rings are sized according to od, id, and thickness. there has to be some information on the correct size, other than "take it to the parts store and match something up that doesn't stick up too far". confused
beer

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/17/18 05:07 PM

My assumption is the only way to get the pn would be to call the bearing manufacturer and see if it would be possible to convince the right person to pull a blueprint and then give up the pn of the O ring...having worked at big companies most of my life I think that might be a really frustrating phone call twocents
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/17/18 09:36 PM

If the O ring is missing, you can measure the width of the groove; that, along with the ID of the housing bore (2.875") gives you a place to start.
Posted By: jb500

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/20/18 06:55 PM

It may be a -147 (.103) or -231 (.139) o-ring depending on the thickness of the seal. Mic the seal you have and verify the cross section. Go to a Parker store or similar Hyd shop with the seal or axle and have them match up/verify the size you need. Should be no more than $.50 depending on store mins.

The Parker O-ring catalog online has a bunch of info you can go over if needed. Catalog # ORD 5700.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/21/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By jb500
Should be no more than $.50 depending on store mins.

& would have been done days ago if you would have just gone and got one.
shruggy
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Green bearing O ring seal - 10/21/18 10:16 PM

This is not rocket science.

Take the bearing to a parts store and trial fit 2-3 O-rings from their assortment until you find one that fits. This takes less than 5 minutes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums