Moparts

a body disc brakes used on opposite side

Posted By: davesmopars

a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/11/09 11:16 PM

i have a 68 barracuda, putting on 73 to 76 disc brakes. i want to put them on the opposite side so i can use my swaybar. my question is. does having the calipar in the back affect the braking. has anybody done this. i know it works. just looking at the braking performance end of it.

thanks dave
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/11/09 11:21 PM

Quote:

i have a 68 barracuda, putting on 73 to 76 disc brakes. i want to put them on the opposite side so i can use my swaybar. my question is. does having the calipar in the back affect the braking. has anybody done this. i know it works. just looking at the braking performance end of it.

thanks dave

Makes no differance.

You just have to make sure the bleeder screws are on the top and you may have to come up with something fancy for the brake hose.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 12:26 AM

My '68 a-body has the caliper upgrade and their mounted in the front of the '73spindles. I added a larger diameter than stockFirmFeel front swaybar with no issues. The brackets for that specific swaybar use the lower shock mount bolt to attach to the lower control arm.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 12:37 AM

Quote:

thanks dave

you can swap them side to side with no problems.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 12:38 AM

Quote:

My '68 a-body has the caliper upgrade and their mounted in the front of the '73spindles. I added a larger diameter than stockFirmFeel front swaybar with no issues. The brackets for that specific swaybar use the lower shock mount bolt to attach to the lower control arm.

have any pictures of that?

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:08 AM

the spindles are centered to the ball joint, so you can use them on either side. i am just asking if braking is better with the calipar in the front or in the rear or it doesn't matter.

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:08 AM

I have some on the computer at home, and if not tonight, I can get some on here tomorrow...
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:10 AM

You can also shorten the end links for clearance. Either way works fine.

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:36 AM

so your saying keep the calipar in the front. use the 68 stock swaybar and shorten the links. so the calipar clear the swaybar.

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:39 AM

yes send me them. here's my email davesmopars@yahoo.com thanks dave

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:41 AM

From what I've read and heard on this subject, it doesn't matter, front or rear placement. It's the brake line and routing that becomes an issue. I have them on the front on my '68 a-body and on the rear on my '70 e-body using the same spindles, but different calipers and brake lines. Doctor Diff sourced the parts including braided steel lines for the rear mount on the '70 e-body. He rocks when it comes to this stuff!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:54 AM

Quote:

the spindles are centered to the ball joint, so you can use them on either side. i am just asking if braking is better with the calipar in the front or in the rear or it doesn't matter.

The original 68 disc setup had the calipers rear mounted ...

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 02:10 AM

how funny is that, i just talked to him yesterday about rear end stuff. i will give him a call again thanks
Posted By: 1965_PLYMOUTH

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 02:14 AM

yes,the rear mounted calipers are more effective, but we're pretty much limited to disc brake swaps for the 62-65 B body MOPARs, so we put in the 73-76 A body systems with the calipers out front. they lack adequate stopping power in the 1/4 mile stretches with these heavier cars, but believe me when I say, the A body system is "loads" better than the original drum brakes.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 02:17 AM

Quote:

yes,the rear mounted calipers are more effective, but we're pretty much limited to disc brake swaps for the 62-65 B body MOPARs, so we put in the 73-76 A body systems with the calipers out front. they lack adequate stopping power in the 1/4 mile stretches with these heavier cars, but believe me when I say, the A body system is "loads" better than the original drum brakes.

Why can't you put them on the rear ?

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 02:19 AM

ok but why did you not use them on the rear side.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 04:23 AM

Caliper location has nothing to do with brake performance. Put the calipers where they clear but make sure the bleeders point up and that the brake hose is properly routed. Rear hung calipers have a very tiny performance advantage due to the weight being moved further towards the rear of the car. That effect is probably too small to be measured on most cars.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 05:17 AM

Quote:

From what I've read and heard on this subject, it doesn't matter, front or rear placement. It's the brake line and routing that becomes an issue.

I used F body hoses & bent the hard line a bit so everything would clear(rear mounted) as I moved the suspension all thru its travel (up/down & left/right)
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 09:21 AM

Quote:

Caliper location has nothing to do with brake performance.

the wheel/rotor when spinning doesn't know which way is up or down. why would it care where it's being "squeezed" at by the caliper?
Posted By: Jim L

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 10:46 AM

On my 68 Dart, I mounted them in the rear and used hoses from an 80 Diplomat-those had rear mounted calipers.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 11:42 AM

Just finished my Demon last weekend -- rear mounted.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 01:19 PM

I mounted them to the rear. I swapped to "rear mount" '80 Volare calipers and hoses

Posted By: fshd4it

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 02:32 PM

All my DB swaps so far have been front mounted, so I have no experience to compare either way. BUT...my buddy has a stock '71 GTX that he did a brake/suspension rbld on,and he put the calipers on the back, swearing "They came off that way"(since he did this all within a week's time, I'm tempted to trust his memory). He had an annoying brake shudder and pedal pulse upon completion; checked runout(.009 I think), had the rotors re-turned, sanded the (new)pads& checked all the bearings,etc. Still shuddered. Runout was down to .004 now. I convinced him to swap everything side to side; all problems gone & the brakes work great. Still scratching our heads over that one.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 02:44 PM

Quote:

He had an annoying brake shudder and pedal pulse upon completion; I convinced him to swap everything side to side; all problems gone & the brakes work great. Still scratching our heads over that one.

Could someting been loose(or not seated) before the switch
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 03:27 PM

Quote:

so your saying keep the calipar in the front. use the 68 stock swaybar and shorten the links. so the calipar clear the swaybar.

I'm just saying that is how I did it on my old 67 Dart and my son's 67 Dart (same parts swapped to a different car). It works well.

I think my Barracuda has the calipers rear mounted and they worked well.

Put them in which ever way you think everything fits best and don't look back.

Re: a body disc brakes used on opposite side - 03/12/09 05:26 PM

Here's a shot of the swaybar mounts and the calipers mounts swaped for a rear mount. After trying this, I switched them to the front because I didn't have the correct calipers and hoses to finish the install with them back there.

I'll post a picture of them as they are now when I get a chance to get out there and snap a photo etc.

Attached picture 5088141-753013-R1-040-18A_011(Large).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums