Moparts

Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads?

Posted By: DGS

Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/08/18 12:03 PM

as a preventative measure against stripping threads(spark plugs, exhaust bolts, rocker shaft bolts)?
What's your opinion on this as it seems the Trick Flow heads don't have heli coil inserts as the Eddy RPMs have.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/08/18 03:54 PM

Forget that idea. Does a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Bugatti, Race Hemi or $100,000 Mountain Motor Pro Stock have heli coils? No.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/08/18 04:17 PM

They might be made of better grade aluminum than a mass-produced head, though... also not rebuilt nearly as often (well, maybe not the Race Hemi), so the threads are rarely "worked" work
Posted By: moparx

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/08/18 05:16 PM

just me, but i would use studs in every "bolt" application, and a dab of hi-temperature anti-seize on the plugs. your mileage may vary.
beer
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/08/18 10:21 PM

Not till i had to would do that,
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/09/18 02:15 AM

Use a good anti-seize on any bolts going into aluminum and you should be fine.
However if you do decide to do them on the spark plugs, go with the solid inserts and not the spring type. Use green loc-tite(sleeve retainer) when you install them and they will never come out. If you dont loc-tite them they have a tendency to spin out eventually.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/09/18 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By rickseeman
Forget that idea. Does a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Bugatti, Race Hemi or $100,000 Mountain Motor Pro Stock have heli coils? No.

Tell you what, you buy me any one of those things on your list and I promise to never put a helicoil in them.

I had to put a bunch of helicoils in a 727 when some jackwagon used the German method (goodentite) to torque the trans pan bolts and stripped a bunch.
Posted By: chargerbr549

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/09/18 04:06 AM

Quality of the aluminum casting as well as if the bolt hole and threads are cut to the proper size will determine if the thread inserts are a good idea, one of the brands of race heads we deal with we have to put in time-serts right off the bat otherwise they will pull the threads, customer and or engine builder are not happy campers. Proper bolt depth is crucial in having aluminum threads survive and as said before if you can put a stud in there instead of a bolt that would be my first choice.
Posted By: feets

Re: Put thread inserts in new aluminum heads? - 10/10/18 10:44 PM

Stud it where possible. In places where that is not possible and the fastener will be removed frequently it would be a good idea to use an old school Heli-coil.

I ran a quasi-instrumented test (torque to yield and 10,000 lb tension failure) on the various types of thread inserts and the Heli-coil performed as well as or better than the other commonly found styles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums