Moparts

Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge...

Posted By: ksat

Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 06:49 AM

I have a Sunpro mechanical temp gauge. I'm trying to figure out what kind of bushing (or adapter) I need in order to install into my 383? Here's a pic of the NPT bushing I bought today. Realized when I got home that it's not what I need. The probe doesn't pass through it, but even if it did how would the probe seal tight? Just confused, so can someone point me the way to what I need to get?

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 06:53 AM

O'reillys has a plastic blister pack with (3) adapters (iirc) & one of em is what you need. It may be online on their site. EDIT the reducer bushing you have is likely 3/8 to 1/4 NPT & the gauge fitting is straight threads & needs the special seat for the "probe" to set down into & is NPT threads on the OD to screw into the intake port. With more thought yes I got the (3) pack at O'reillys & I dont have the part # handy.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 05:17 PM

Summit sells them. One side is npt, the sender side is straight thread.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 05:46 PM

You need a gauge adapter not a NPT bushing. Your local auto parts store should have a gauge adapter but if not you can find them on-line from most anywhere. Go to the Autometer website and search for them then take the part number and search for it. Probably find it at Summit, Jegs, Amazon, ebay, etc. Very common part. If you lived next door to me you could walk over and grab one out of my parts drawer. I probably have 3 or 4 used ones sitting in there.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 07:09 PM

The adapter you need goes into one of the upper holes, closet to the thermostat housing, nextto the heater hose outlet on the passenger side of the water pump that may be plug now scope
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 08:08 PM

You need a set of these. Get the set with the 9851 part number. I ordered a set of Stewart Warner gauges and had to get the adapters without knowing it. Until I began the install. My son's cheapo set from NAPA came with all 3 adapters but not the SW ones.

You'll only need one adapter, and no, there are none available at plumbing stores.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/...ture%20Adapters
Posted By: ksat

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 08:52 PM

Ok I'll check parts store first.

Originally Posted By cdstl
My son's cheapo set from NAPA came with all 3 adapters but not the SW ones.

Would the NAPA product have worked? Or did you need specifically a SW?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 08:53 PM

I agree with Andy.I got ours at Advane Auto.There is a step inside that seals the sender tube.Rocky
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Need bushing help for aftermarket temp gauge... - 10/02/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By ksat
Ok I'll check parts store first.

Originally Posted By cdstl
My son's cheapo set from NAPA came with all 3 adapters but not the SW ones.

Would the NAPA product have worked? Or did you need specifically a SW?

I actually got his gauges from Auto Zone. Any of the adapters that you can find, like the ones I listed above, will work. Buying a selection like that ensures that you'll get the right one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums