Moparts

Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good?

Posted By: hp383

Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/27/18 05:32 PM

While digging through the top of the tool box yesterday, looking for a zip tie, I came across a full set of hydraulic lifters I had purchased for a project about 12 to 15 years ago.

Would these still be good? They haven't ever been out of the boxes, but they haven't been stored in temp or humidity controlled location.

They are completely taped up, so I didn't want to break the seal since I don't have a time frame in which I will need them. But if they may still be viable I will add them to the parts shelf with the cam bearings they were purchased with.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/27/18 05:46 PM

The only bad thing is rust, is it damp or dry where they were stored? Sometimes they have a desiccant wrapping paper around them.

They might have oil on them, and that oil could have turned to a crust. Then they would need to come apart and be cleaned out.
Posted By: hp383

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/27/18 08:57 PM

Its SW Iowa. It can be terribly humid, or pretty arid depending on the season and the weather gods.

I guess I will break the seals and see whats inside.

Then if they are OK, I will try to seal them in a zip lock with a couple desiccant packets or something.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/27/18 09:28 PM

They were usually wrapped in brown waxy paper from the factory. If not rusted I'd pump a little oil in them, work the plungers by hand and run them.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/27/18 09:33 PM

They're junk, sell them to me! Back then quality was good.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/27/18 11:31 PM

actually, 12-15yrs ago may put you in the worst time for hydraulic tappets. a lot of tappet problems in that time frame. I had two bad sets in 2003 and i'm not sure of the date when johnsons were starting to be manufactured again but it was a while past 2003.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/27/18 11:53 PM

I've had these for 30 yrs !! realcrazy

Attached picture P9270815.JPG
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/28/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

Probably a lot better than any Mopar hydraulic lifter available today.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/28/18 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By BSB67
Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

Probably a lot better than any Mopar hydraulic lifter available today.

Yup.
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/28/18 07:40 AM

I have a new 528 solid mopar cam I bought about 15 years ago. Opened the box the other day and the cam looks clean and lifters look like new.
If you pull them out be sure not to handle them without some latex gloves on. Normally it wouldnt be an issue but if your putting them back in storage the acids from you skin will make them rust.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Found a set of new old stock lifters. Any good? - 09/28/18 12:15 PM

what I've noticed about Stanadynes is the foot of the tappet isn't as nicely machined as the Eatons or Johnsons. the real problem is the internals with hydraulic tappets. i'm running a flat tappet solid i'm pretty sure has Stanadyne tappets without issue for close to 20,000 miles. but, the Stanadyne hydraulics are an issue. I talked to Mark Engle about this around 2003 when all the tappet problems were raging and he told me Stanadyne was the least desirable with Eatons his favorite.
© 2024 Moparts Forums