Moparts

BB AMD valve cover fitment issues

Posted By: JoesMopar

BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 03:25 PM

Just purchased a set of brand new AMD valve covers for my 440 with TF heads. The stock valve covers fit perfectly but leaked and had some dings in them. The reviews on these were good, but my review says otherwise.

The washers for the bolts are so close to the VC they're digging into them. Had to use studs with a smaller washer which defeats the purpose of trying to maintain a stock look. The other issue is the VCs aren't laying flat in the area around d the front of the head with the gasket (cometic and can't remember the part number) in place. I had that issue on stock SB VCs with the blue moroso gaskets and had to trim the edges that went around the intake runners. I don't see any contact issues here.

Anyone else experience these issues with these or other VCs?

Thanks

Attached picture IMG_20180923_144458.jpg

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 03:43 PM

The VC not laying flat with the gasket installed.

Attached picture IMG_20180923_152839.jpg
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 04:03 PM

Stock valve covers are made for stock heads....... which have the bolt holes/studs not perpendicular to the v/c rail, using gaskets that are fairly compliant so they seal against irregular surfaces.

My guess is those v/c’s would work just fine on a set of 906’s with some cork gaskets.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 04:11 PM

Are those factory bolts? scope
Posted By: 69ACME

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 05:32 PM

I have AMD repros on 906 heads. They aren't perfectly flat and the holes aren't perfectly lined up. But the bolts go in and they sit flat enough so that they don't leak with FelPro 13379 cork gaskets. Those gaskets have the holding tabs and fit the valve cover very well.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 06:20 PM

Did you buy these recently directly from AMD, or thru a vendor/Ebay/etc?...
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 08:27 PM

iagree early valve cover reproductions didn't fit well hammer
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
iagree early valve cover reproductions didn't fit well hammer

Exactly, that's why I asked "directly thru AMD recently or thru vendor/Ebay/etc" as some of the early AMD releases were fought with problems and are still in the vendor system being passed off, I've had a total of 3 BB Mopar AMD valve cover sets with no real issues in the last 3 yrs for my personal vehicles, one of my customers even did a fitment/comparison tutorial on DC.com of a set of 69 BB AMD Mopar covers I shipped to him last year or so, no issues worth crying about...

Re: BB AMD valve cover fitment issues - 09/24/18 10:48 PM

I bought them through Summit last week. I'm using the factory bolts and everything bolted together fine with the factory valve covers... they just had leaking issues and didn't look that great and rather than straighten them out I thought I would try these.

I'm going to fit them on without the gasket and see if they at least fit flush on the heads, should have done that first... I haven't tightened them up yet other than finger tight when I noticed these two issues.
© 2024 Moparts Forums